Author Topic: swimming with dolphins  (Read 9037 times)

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
swimming with dolphins
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 22:01:12 PM »
 :)Blody hell Sue, not many of us remember the dancing bear, now that was cruel, the poor thing looked spaced out on valium. ;)

Offline Lisax

swimming with dolphins
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 23:03:45 PM »
In my humble opinion the best place ever to swim with dolphins is in  Western Australia.  The place to go is Monkey Mia.  

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
swimming with dolphins
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 23:23:28 PM »
Why are so many people obsessed with swimming with bloody dolphins?

I don't hear of many people wanting to scratch fence posts with cats or roll around in mud with hippo's

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
swimming with dolphins
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 07:26:03 AM »
"Everything will always be bigger and better in America"...,.including the Lunatic Asylums!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
swimming with dolphins
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 07:31:28 AM »
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 07:35:54 AM by KKOB »

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
swimming with dolphins
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 09:02:13 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Why are so many people obsessed with swimming with bloody dolphins?

I don't hear of many people wanting to scratch fence posts with cats or roll around in mud with hippo's

I've been lucky enough to swim with wild Dolphins, and believe it or not, it was off the Turkish coast.  We were sailing the 'Blue Cruise' and a pod were trailing us for a couple of days.  When having an early evening dip we were joined unexpected by a couple of them, who were really playful and very very gentle.  They were probably more curious than playful, but they swam around us, and really seemed to enjoy the interaction.  This all happened very naturally and at their intervention.  A totally amazing experience and one that I shall never forget.    

I haven't seen the conditions in Kas, but I am told that the dolphins were rescued dolphins that could not return to the wild.  If you search you will probably find an old and very 'emotive' thread on here previously.....

Offline penny

swimming with dolphins
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 17:34:24 PM »
than you for all your advice i think i will stick to horse riding with norma at kaya. it seems a safer bet :)

Offline julesbob0303

swimming with dolphins
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 18:42:34 PM »
My two daughters desperately wanted to swim with the dolphins in Kas when we saw a trip advertised from Calis last summer.  I had some reservations, but we decided to go as the girls were so keen.  The day before the coach trip, we were told that the time allotted to each child suddenly went down from "about 10 minutes each" to "about 2 minutes each" as it meant they could squash more people onto the trip!  This is the point when we tried to drop out of the trip, as we felt we were being ripped off.  (I think the dolphin part was about £50 each, on top of the price of the coach journey.)  The bloke selling the trip was the only Turkish person we have come across with a real nasty attitude.  He refused to give our deposit back (refusing to even speak to us face to face - in stead putting some poor lad in the office to deal with us).  He eventually (by phone) dropped the price to try and keep us on the trip.  My sister in law desperately wanted to treat the girls as they were bitterly disappointed at possibly not going.

The girls thoroughly enjoyed the swimming experience (they eventually had about 8 mins each, which was plenty of time) but both were very upset about the conditions the dolphins were kept in, especially when we were told that dolphins out in the sea swim for miles and can jump extremely high.  We all left there feeling quite depressed.

Definitely would not go again and would not recommend it - it just seemed so cruel.  The pool they were kept in was a tiny fenced-in area.  The following day we went on a boat trip for the day from Calis, and saw dolphins out in the sea.  They were jumping in and out of the water, and seemed so happy compared to the one at Kas, who looked very sad and had to be bribed with food to keep going.

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 20:10:04 PM »
julesbob0303 - this must have been such an emotional experience, both joy and sadness for the kids. We are in Florida in a few weeks time and have already booked to swim with dolphins there.  

One of the most amazing things that I ever saw was about 5 years ago when I was on a dinner cruise on the Thames near London Bridge , when two dolphins jumped out of the water next to us. I had only read the day before that there were such mammals being seen in the Thames again.

Offline penny

swimming with dolphins
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 21:06:32 PM »
thank you
you have made my mind up we have already booked to go to florida for 2 weeks in may i will book there, i just wont tell my husband how much it will cost him. i can always bribe him with a round of golf and the promise of 3 weeks in turkey in august.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf