Author Topic: Advice Please.  (Read 5651 times)

Offline Heather Davis

Advice Please.
« on: March 16, 2008, 14:10:33 PM »
Hi There CBF Members,

I am arriving in Turkey in late April when hopefully the Tapu for my new apartment will be ready.

I have been reading up on the security question on past CBF posts and now realise that there may be more of a problem with break ins than I had at first anticipated.

Although the apartment is in the residential area of Akarca, I only intend to be in Turkey for six months of each year.
There was an awful lot of advice and helpful tips in the past posts on the security question all of which I intend to follow up.

In the end though, is having metal security doors and window protection, appropriately fitted of course, the best protection?

I would really appreciate from those of you in the know your thoughts and experiences on this subject.

Many thanks in advance from,

Heather.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Advice Please.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 14:22:29 PM »
Heather - I am naturally cautious and we are on the first floor but we looked into this for the same reasons as you and concluded that window bars properly fitted and window locks are a  must.

I thought they would spoil the appearance but as everyone assured me that was not a problem and you really don't notice them after a few days.

Since we bought 3 years ago I walk around and see more and more locals with bars fitted and that tells you all you need to know.

What worried me most was the fact that break ins appear to be more frequent when you arrive as you have all your possessions, mobile, cameras, cash etc and at my age I really don't need anything giving me a jolt in the night!

I am not saying it is rife - and it is reported as often being people from outside of town coming in for the season but it is just better to be safe than sorry from the outset.

Ian

Offline amanda bullock

Advice Please.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 14:25:59 PM »
Grills and shutters are definately the best way to protect your property,as long as you don't mind the look of them.I think it boils down to personel preference really.We don't like the look of them so have never bothered.To be honest you won't be tempting any  thieves with a vacant property.They prefer you to be in.LOL

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Advice Please.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 15:03:16 PM »
Hi Heather
We bought our apartment in May last year and had security grills fitted on our doors and windows in August, our neighbours were burgled on the day they moved in, we had moved in to ours on the same day, but decided to stay with my cousin that night as we hadnt finished organising the apartment and it was getting late.
I am so glad we did because our neighbours getting burgled put a bit of a dampers on our "dream", I could not sleep properly at night until those bars were up and it is true within three days we did not notice them you just get used to them. I was a little annoyed with the agent that showed us the property as he said "there is no crime in Calis" obviously there is crime everywhere but I suppose I was a little naive! From our experiences I would say get them fitted.

Offline Yetkin

• Snapper
Advice Please.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 15:17:19 PM »
Hi Heather dont worry please i am going to move to your complex in 3 weeks and i will live there,i dont think we can have problem there  
My dog will be there too :)

Offline doll

Advice Please.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 15:43:23 PM »
is really is personal choice most turkish have the bars fitted
make sure they are drilled well in to the stonework(so cant be prised off)
it makes sence if you away for long periods of time,
i hope your dog is not watchin tv allday yetkin
he ll get bad eyes.... a dog is a good thing to have too but very tying to turkey.
i think the average price is about £600. depending on how many,dont forget mossi nets too.

Offline Heather Davis

Advice Please.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 15:56:27 PM »
Hi Yetkin,

Are you teasing me about moving to the Ege,complex or have you bought one of the lovely houses facing the sea front?

I certainly won't be worrying if you are around!
Heather.

quote:
Originally posted by Yetkin

Hi Heather dont worry please i am going to move to your complex in 3 weeks and i will live there,i dont think we can have problem there  
My dog will be there too :)

Offline Heather Davis

Advice Please.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 15:59:54 PM »
Many Thanks Doll,

I have already paid for the mozzie nets to be put in to the property but had not realised the extent of the break in problem at that stage.

Thank you for your advice. Best wishes,

Heather.

quote:
Originally posted by doll

is really is personal choice most turkish have the bars fitted
make sure they are drilled well in to the stonework(so cant be prised off)
it makes sence if you away for long periods of time,
i hope your dog is not watchin tv allday yetkin
he ll get bad eyes.... a dog is a good thing to have too but very tying to turkey.
i think the average price is about £600. depending on how many,dont forget mossi nets too.

Offline Heather Davis

Advice Please.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 16:04:17 PM »
Many Thanks Derek and Karen,

Thank you for telling me about your experience and for the Good advice. Sounds like you had a lucky escape!

Best Wishes,

Heather.

quote:
Originally posted by DerekandKaren

Hi Heather
We bought our apartment in May last year and had security grills fitted on our doors and windows in August, our neighbours were burgled on the day they moved in, we had moved in to ours on the same day, but decided to stay with my cousin that night as we hadnt finished organising the apartment and it was getting late.
I am so glad we did because our neighbours getting burgled put a bit of a dampers on our "dream", I could not sleep properly at night until those bars were up and it is true within three days we did not notice them you just get used to them. I was a little annoyed with the agent that showed us the property as he said "there is no crime in Calis" obviously there is crime everywhere but I suppose I was a little naive! From our experiences I would say get them fitted.

Offline Heather Davis

Advice Please.
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 16:08:38 PM »
Thank You Amanda,

I know what you mean about the look of the grills and shutters, It seems a shame.
On the other hand I will be spending most of the time alone in the apartment apart from when friends and family come to stay.

As you say, horses and courses I guess!

Best Wishes,

Heather.

quote:
Originally posted by amanda bullock

Grills and shutters are definately the best way to protect your property,as long as you don't mind the look of them.I think it boils down to personel preference really.We don't like the look of them so have never bothered.To be honest you won't be tempting any  thieves with a vacant property.They prefer you to be in.LOL

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf