Author Topic: Cappadocia visit  (Read 4408 times)

Offline tel

Cappadocia visit
« on: April 21, 2008, 19:00:12 PM »
Just returned from a ten day trip to Cappadocia, a wonderful place.
Travelling by car to the Lake District we stopped at Beyshir for the first night before going on to the Mevlana Museum at Konya. Then we stopped two nights at Uchisar in a cave with a restaurant and separate bar also in a cave setting. Visited the castle here and walked through Pidgeon Valley to Goreme. Then we moved to Goreme, which is better for choice of eating out places and stopped four more nights in a cave hotel.  Visited Goreme open-air museum (10ytl each)which was very good.  Booked a long trip in an air balloon with "Kapadokya Balloons" (480ytl each), highly recommended for their quality, safety and professionlism.  Definately a major highlight, not to be missed.  You can find cheaper, if you care to.
Other days spent visiting the largest underground city of Derinkuyu (10ytl each) and a guide is a good investment at around 30ytl.
Ortahisar, with it's large rock that hid the towns people was visited and the rock church at Cavusin(5ytl each).  Zelve was interesting with it's rock chimneys and open air-museum(5ytl each).
Went to the pottery town of Avanos situated on Turkeys longest river, also visited the wine town of Urgup and Mustafapasa to see the remaining Greek buildings. Walked in the Ihlara Valley after moving to the quiet end at Selime.  Here we stayed in a basic but comfortable Pension for a night right alongside one of the best kept secrets we came across...a cathedral built into the rocks(5ytl each) and right next door was a setting where they filmed some "Star Wars" shots.  Then it was return to home via Antalya where we stopped over for a couple of nights and if you get the chance..do try the "Ray B" restaurant on the main road before Hadrian's Gate from the stadium end.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Cappadocia visit
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 19:20:17 PM »
I think we need some photographic evidence !!!  Sounds wonderful...

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Cappadocia visit
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 19:22:28 PM »
Thanks Tel
If our house sale goes OK (not a good bet in UK at momement) we might be able to squeeze in a trip at end of August/start of September. Not sure we can manage 10 nights - but were 2 of yours in Antalya? Good itinerary. Should help us plan things. Anyone else got a view on what to visit?

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
Cappadocia visit
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 08:30:33 AM »
I been looking in the guide books for ages and Tels visit just confirms my view that this area is a must,Tel did you drive up from calis area yourselves or fly then drive.

Offline tel

Cappadocia visit
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 09:34:32 AM »
Hi Colwyn, yes 10 night round trip, inc. two shopping (LOL) nights at Antalya. Kipa & M&S etc
Good luck with the house sale chum.
c1, drove all the way from Koca Calis. About 500 miles for UK members ha ha.

Offline lmaddy

Cappadocia visit
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 11:01:28 AM »
sounds fantastic - I really want to go to Cappadocia, but we can never quite fit it in.
I wish we could fly fropm Dalaman, I just don't fancy the 10 hour journey & don't have 10 days spare at the mo.

Tel what a great trip!

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Cappadocia visit
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »
It sounds fantastic tel.  So glad you enjoyed it.  I've also looked at a trip but think it will need to wait till we have more time to spend in Turkey than our usual few weeks per year

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Cappadocia visit
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 13:21:14 PM »
I think you can fly from Dalaman to Nevsehir (In the middle of Cappadocia) direct with Freebird in about an hour.

Offline lmaddy

Cappadocia visit
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 16:30:37 PM »
Tribalelder
Wow I din't relise this - I have tried to look on the internet but i think I would need to book with a travel agent in Fethiye as can't find an online booking system. This could be the answer.
Any tips?

Offline lmaddy

Cappadocia visit
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 10:00:31 AM »
Tribalelder
Aparently it is a myth that you can fly from Dalaman to NEVSEHIR KAPADOKYA. It does say on the Dalaman airport website that there is a flight operated by Free Bird but according to a travel agent in Fethiye there are only buses!
So if anyone has any other info please let me know.
Thanks
Lorraine

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf