Author Topic: Nerja Spain  (Read 3214 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Nerja Spain
« on: May 05, 2008, 13:24:29 PM »
With only limited holidays available, we decided this year to 'sacrifice' our week in May in favour of taking some long weekend type breaks in other places. Last week we set off on Thursday morning to Nerja in Spain returning the following Tuesday.

We went to (Torrox Costa) which is about 15 minutes from Nerja, and spent most of our time telling each other that we had done the WRONG thing by not coming over to Calis. I have not been to Spain for about 10 years for a holiday and I am sure that it will be more than 10 years before I return.

1, The promenade at Torrox Costa is bland, the view is just endless Sea, no lovely islands & mountains like we have in Calis

2, Travelling from the airport, the journey took us about 50 minutes along what is reputed to be some of the most unspoilt Costa's - It was just continuos building sites!

3, Torrox Costa is one massive concrete jungle with rows of badly painted high rise blocks of flats lining the sea front.

4, There was absolutely no community feeling about the place, I think it was just too large.

5, 80% of visitors seemed to be Germans who had there own bars and restaurants which were not visted by other nationalities.

6, It was really expensive, our exchange rate was just 1.17 Euro to the £

7, The flight time (regarded by many as a big attraction) turned out to be around 2 hours and 45 minutes and by the time we had found our transport and made the 50 minute trip to the resort, it was not all that different in terms of the time taken to get to Calis.

8, Even though we booked our flight with Easyjet several months ago, we still paid £275 for the two of us to travel, I am sure those £40 tickets exist but as they wanted about £30 for 'speedy boarding' I just wonder how common cheap travel is if you want to go at a reasonable hour.  

9, We visited the Nerja Caves which was good but looking round the tourist information centre we found only a fraction of the things to do compared to what is on offer around Calis.

10, We are now even more depressed when we read this forum, watch the webcams or the latest set of pictures from Yetkin, if you are thinking of giving Calis a break, then think carefully.

Roll on September !!

Rimms

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Nerja Spain
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 14:09:55 PM »
Spain's not all bad. Our friends moved to Costa de la Luz 3 years ago and they love it. We visited and the area is indeed lovely with Cadiz not too far away - which is a lovely port.

Chiclana, where they live, has a lot going for it and I could holiday there no problem.

Different to Calis but still a nice place. Shame about the exchange rate though.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it Rimms.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 14:11:07 PM by stoop »

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
Nerja Spain
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 14:28:56 PM »
Rimms its a shame you didnt enjoy your hols. A few years ago now , before we bought in Calis, we too decided to trade on our May trip to Calis and go somewhere else instead. We went to Sitges one year and Nerja the next. Its hard not to do a like for like comparison- but there arent any. Its an apple and oranges thing comparing Turkey and Spain. We had great times in both places. We found the journey times much better- shorter certainly, as we could fly from our local airport in Leeds rather than schlepping to Manchester in order to fly to Dalaman. We stayed in Nerja itself on the Balcon De Eurpopa and had fabulous views- granted just sea but then it beats the view that I'm looking at right now! The beaches were spotless, sandy and well equipped with sunbeds. The hotel was gorgeous. The resteraunts in Nerja were some of the best we've eaten in abroad. We did another couple of years going to Spain in May after that and thoroughly enjoyed our hols. But and its a big but- we loved going back to Calis in September and were lucky enough to be able to do both. There are key differences between the places and the reason we all go back to Calis vary. It was exciting going somewhere new, wondering what the hotel will be like, whether we'll like the resort , where to change money, how easy will it be to get about- it takes a few days to get into your stride doesnt it? Whereas with Calis for most of us , we know what were getting and we love it and thats why we go back!  We sunbathe on the worst part of the beach right in front of the Er-Oz. Its a loyalty thing to the hotel- but I digress! Anyway its the place where most people stand and admire the view after getting off the dolmus and crossing over. I have heard on countless occassions so many people say derogatory things about the beach, negative opinions about the view- can you believe it? Such as ' theres not much here is there' I've been dying to say' what do you expect a herd of wildebeast' but i havent! There are actually some people who dont see the magic that we all do ! No one can really put their finger on it because it differs for all of us. Thats why its so difficult to compare with other places- for me anyway. [:X]

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Nerja Spain
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 16:08:50 PM »
Stoop, I agree that "Spain is not all bad" it's a bit unfair of me to tar the whole country based on my recent short visit, in fact I lied in my posting above, we are also planning a short stay with my cousin who lives in the village of Cañaveral de León which is not far from Seville, see http://www.andaluciaholidays.eu/index.asp I hope the report is a bit more positive.

Cayfan, the Balcon de Europa is a lovely place, that hotel must have cost you a few bob to stay in, but down there is a million miles away from the high rise concrete jungle which is Torrox Costa.

I never thought I would ever say this, but one thing I did miss was the 'hassle' you get from our market and restaurant staff, I know sometimes it becomes a bit of a pain but it does lead to some great banter! there was nothing like that on offer in Spain.

Rimms
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 16:11:56 PM by Rimms »

Offline julesbob0303

Nerja Spain
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 16:33:28 PM »
We went to Spain at Easter last year, when we were thinking of buying a place abroad.  We had ten days of almost constant rain - (just the one nice day, whilst, for once, Britain basked in sunshine!)  Admittedly, that was probably the only sunshine in the whole of 2007!  

Property was expensive out there.  We have bought a 3/4 bedroomed apartment in Calis, for two-thirds the price it would have cost us for a one bedroomed apartment near Alicante (can't remember the name of the area, but it was recommended to us by some friends.)

We rented a nice apartment, with some lovely restaurants a short distance away, but it was very British.  The one thing I really loved though was the sea front - it was beautiful (BUT not as beautiful as the lovely sunsets we see in Calis).  The flights were shorter, and cheaper than when we come to Turkey.  

Just the one visit though and our minds were made up - we holidayed in Turkey last summer and bought a place in Calis.  Probably will never go to Spain again!

Julie

Offline doll

Nerja Spain
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 06:59:10 AM »
i went to nerja spain a few years ago
thinking maybe look for property s there
we got robbed the first day out by gypsiys
spent a few hours at local police station
didnt buy there....

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
Nerja Spain
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 07:59:07 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Cavfan

. I have heard on countless occassions so many people say derogatory things about the beach, negative opinions about the view- can you believe it? Such as ' theres not much here is there' I've been dying to say' what do you expect a herd of wildebeast' but i havent! There are actually some people who dont see the magic that we all do !  [:X]

PMSL Cavfan - 'a herd of wildebeast' indeed. :D I'll have to remember that one. Of course you could tell them to wait until they see the bears on the beach & to be careful they don't go in a tent without checking first for wild animals.[:o)]:D

We've done a few trips to Spain the Canaries & the US since buying in Calis. Each time we've wished we were in Calis instead. Don't know exactly what it is, the people or the place but Calis captures your heart.

I wonder how many people thinking there was little in Calis initially ended up buying & loving the place as much as we all do?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf