Author Topic: Trip to Istanbul  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Trip to Istanbul
« on: June 15, 2009, 11:33:06 AM »
Flew to Istanbul for 4 days during our 3 week stay in Calis.  Can recommend Turkish Airlines, service was very good and even got a free meal, which was a surprise for such a short journey.   Flight prices were also very reasonable.
Loved Istanbul fabulous place, will definitely go back as we have lots more to see.
Jacqui.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Trip to Istanbul
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 11:53:44 AM »
jacqui  -  how much were the flights ?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Trip to Istanbul
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 13:51:36 PM »
Hi Pookie,
Flights where £156.00 return for the two of us.  I have been told by a lady who lives in Calis that flights are sometimes lower and special offers are often on-line.
Jacqui.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Trip to Istanbul
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 15:10:37 PM »
We flew in March and paid just 70 GBP each for a seven day return. :)  If you are prepared to search and are very flexible on dates you can get flights for as little as 39TL each way plus taxes 8)[^] :)

Offline Old Daffodil

Trip to Istanbul
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 11:03:40 AM »
I agree with you, Istanbul is great for a short break. We flew from England to Istanbul and stayed for a few days in the Sultanhamet area where most of the sights are and the metro made it so easy to get around with no problem. We had lovely meals in the fish restaurants under the Galata Bridge. At night it looked lovely.

As we could not get flights to Dalaman to suit our travelling times we flew to Antalya and jumped on the Havas bus (10lira) to the bus station. The bus journey from Antalya to Fethiye was lovely too as the scenery is great and we had a couple of comfort breaks (15Lira).

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Trip to Istanbul
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 12:24:52 PM »
I definite want another short break in Istanbul.  I could not believe the jewels on display in Topkapi Palace, the size of the emeralds, rubies and diamonds made our Crown Jewels look paultry.
Also took a trip over the bridge to the huge shopping centre, lovely to see good old C.&.A's could not resist going in to buy something.
Jacqui.

Offline Old Daffodil

Trip to Istanbul
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 13:18:23 PM »
Agree with you Jacqui :). We had been advised to be careful when to go though as the winter months are so cold and it snows and the summer months are extremely hot there making it a bit unpleasant to wander outside.  

We went beginning of May and it was lovely weather.

I would like to explore the Asian side a bit more next time.

Apparently you have to pre-arrange a visit to the hospital where Florence Nightingale did her work as well. I would like to have a look at that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf