Author Topic: Bringing a car into Turkey via Greee.  (Read 6303 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Bringing a car into Turkey via Greee.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 15:23:23 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by captainjon

Hi ,very interested as I plan to bring a brit car here later this year.Sorry but I dont understand why they want the chassis number.If you give them the vehicle docs its on the V55? May I ask exactly what they ask for and what they do with it.I am particularly interested in what is stamped in ones passport.Thank you J

Because, just like everyone else, they know how easy it is to swap the number plates on a vehicle. Not so easy to swap chassis or engine VINs though. :D 8):D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 16:18:46 PM »
I also assume that when dealing with dozens of nationalities equivalents of the "V55" form, unless they are fluent in all languages they may not know for sure which field is the VIN number. They probably concluded it would prevent errors and be quicker if they just asked the owner to confirm it. Quicker that is until they met the British lol

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 17:10:51 PM »
Our Chassis number is barcoded into our windscreen as well so easy enough to find.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 07:18:44 AM »
So what happens when you need a new windscreen[?] :)

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 10:48:26 AM »

Actually Brian it could be a problem here, the little "window" at the bottom of the windscreen where you can see the chassis No, is missing on my recently fitted windscreen, the number is behind it but no longer visible. No idea what will be made of that if needing to be checked, take the windscreen out I suppose!!!!!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 11:16:43 AM »
The chassis number will also be stamped on at least 1 other part of the vehicle. Most customs officials are familiar with where they appear on most vehicles.

Take a look at this site for advice on how to find the VIN on most makes.

http://www.autohausaz.com/html/vehicle_identification_numbers.html

quote:
Originally posted by Diverbaz 1

Actually Brian it could be a problem here, the little "window" at the bottom of the windscreen where you can see the chassis No, is missing on my recently fitted windscreen, the number is behind it but no longer visible. No idea what will be made of that if needing to be checked, take the windscreen out I suppose!!!!!

Baz, it's worth having a look around the frontdoor frames, possibliy under a small metal flap or under the carpet around the driver's seat for another VIN plate. It was recognised by the industry in the early days that VINs attached near the windscreen could be easily damaged and manufacturers fitted at least 1 more plate elsewhere.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 11:24:32 AM by KKOB »

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »

Thanks Alan, I will have a look around.

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 13:52:18 PM »
We noticed that the car make is also known under a different name in Europe for some cars. For example a Vauxhall is known as an Opel. This information is also needed at the border as they have a drop down menu on the computer I think which they have to click on with the make of vehicle you are taking in.
More than one stamp is made on the passport by different border officials. Three at least as far as I can make out. There are also numbers written on which tie up with information they have put on the computer.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 14:12:39 PM by Daffodil »

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 15:11:28 PM »
As I had not received the registration documents from the DVLA before I left I wrote the number on a piece of paper and give it to them at the border and there was no problem. They never checked it. They were much more interested in whether I had a green card.

I parked the car about 50 meters from the customs box and the customs officers did not check the car. i think it helped that I spoke to them in my very basic Turkish about the weather and who won the Turkish league and this may have helped. Before we left the border control point they did make someone empty his car and they went through everything.

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 16:28:29 PM »
We filled up with petrol before entering Greece and did not see a service area or lay by the whole width of the country.You have to pull off into the villages and hunt for anything like a garage.I think it would take about seven and a half to eight hours to travel the whole way across Greece.
A pleasant place to pull off was at Kavala which has the island of Thassos off the coast. There are hotels there, The Imaret which is five star and the Egnatia which is four star are two of them. There are also some lovely restaurants on the yacht harbour and  banks and garages in the town.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 16:29:57 PM by Daffodil »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf