Author Topic: Hi from Essex  (Read 4362 times)

Offline CocknioDicanio

Hi from Essex
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 13:14:37 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by pookie

aw, my first ever flat was in Harlow !  overlooking the golf course.  memories, sweet memories, that was before I met mr Pookie and got dragged off to Cambridge !  (born and bred in Epping, first job in Brentwood).   Well thats my life story.  Welcome to the forum Mike.  Look forward to seeing those legs  ;)

Hi Pookie, where did you work in Brentwood ? Ford, Amstrad (now gone I believe) and more recently BT are the biggest employers but there used to be a Thermos site that was demolished to make way for the Sainsbury's superstore.

It is well documented that Brentwood is an anagram of Bored Town and it is a bit sleepy but on the up-side crime is relatively low and the schools are excellent.

Unless there's a freak  weather incident when we get to Calis and temperatures drop into the sub zeros I will be wearing shorts for the whole 11 days so you'll have plenty of opportunity to ogle  ;)

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Hi from Essex
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 13:31:54 PM »
lol Mike I think I love you  :-\  My first job was long before Amstrad moved to the area  :o - but I like your thinking !  used to be an office close to Wilsons corner, a shipping agents.  Long gone.

Offline nuttybird

Hi from Essex
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 16:53:09 PM »
Really pookie! what a small world  :) I know the area well, I grew up in collins Meadow, which is just round the corner from the golf club. The New town is OK Mike, still a bit of a bad rep, but no worse than other areas I dont think, each town has there good and bad places. Must admit it has got worse over the weekends though, so I never go out in harlow anymore, just out after work in the city or Brentwood, epping, Hertford etc. Its a shame because Harlow has so much potential but nothing seems to ever happen!

Offline CocknioDicanio

Hi from Essex
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 09:05:11 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by pookie

lol Mike I think I love you  :-\  My first job was long before Amstrad moved to the area  :o - but I like your thinking !  used to be an office close to Wilsons corner, a shipping agents.  Long gone.

You make it sound as though I am writing to a 70 year old and you're younger than I am anyway so don't go falling in  love with me or I'll be ejected from the board for cradle snatching !

Not sure of the last time you came to Brentwood but Coopers -  the big furniture shop - has gone from Wilson's Corner and it's now a "high-end" retail outlet for about six shops selling stuff that I would collectively describe as "twee".

Alongside the retail outlet is a traffic Gyratory system comprising two mini-roundabouts. At least that's what Brentwood Borough Council says. The truth is it's a secret government initiative and it works  like this :
UFOs that enter our air-space are sucked into a 5th dimension that was cleverly created by Stephen Hawking, Patrick Moore and the Blue Peter presnteres using sticky back plastic and coat-hangers. Once they're in they are transformed into car shapes and then beamed down to Wilson's Corner. Once there they either sit waiting for a gap for so long that they just rust into dust or - due to the specially staggered roundabouts - they randomly smash into each other and are converted to dust.

To outsiders it's just an incredibly badly designed traffic flow system but they're not fooling me. Please don't ask me how I know about all this, if I tell you I'll have to kill you.

Offline CocknioDicanio

Hi from Essex
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 10:55:56 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by nuttybird

Really pookie! what a small world  :) I know the area well, I grew up in collins Meadow, which is just round the corner from the golf club. The New town is OK Mike, still a bit of a bad rep, but no worse than other areas I dont think, each town has there good and bad places. Must admit it has got worse over the weekends though, so I never go out in harlow anymore, just out after work in the city or Brentwood, epping, Hertford etc. Its a shame because Harlow has so much potential but nothing seems to ever happen!

Glad to see that you view Brentwood as a good place to come for a drink. I joked that it's a Bored Town but, despite all the objections, the High Street has been transformed recently and now there's approximately one pub for each resident ! Where's your favourite watering hole ?

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Hi from Essex
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 12:14:11 PM »
ohhhh this reminded me - there used to be a fantastic chinese along the Ongar road - on the way to Brentwood.  Fantastic - had many a drunken hen night there !!  best chinese food for miles around.

Offline nuttybird

Hi from Essex
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2010, 12:20:35 PM »
Thats called Joy Fook Pookie, its still there and still a main attraction for birthdays/Hen/Stag parties Lol x

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Hi from Essex
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2010, 14:00:47 PM »
 :o  thats it !  many a drunken night on the dance floor there !!! I might have to go and revisit my old haunts one of these days !

Offline CocknioDicanio

Hi from Essex
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2010, 14:02:26 PM »
This is quite spooky. I haven't been there for years but it just so happens I'm going to Joy Fook this Friday for a friend's birthday meal

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Hi from Essex
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2010, 14:10:17 PM »
small world eh ?!  best fruity ribs in Essex  (Joy Fook's not mine  ;):D)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf