Author Topic: Istanbul  (Read 5288 times)

Offline ECHOSTAR

• Uk and Sky Tv no Problem
Istanbul
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 17:22:02 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by davybill

a trip on the ferry to buyukada is great no cars and lorrys,just go round the island on horse and carriage.

and packs of dogs

Offline littlereddevil

Istanbul
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 08:33:46 AM »
The Grand Bazaar is actually very quiet in the winter months,well has been when I have been.

Offline Connor

• Prat in the hat
Istanbul
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 17:00:22 PM »
The Grand Bazaar was amazing.  I'm usually quite good at mental navigation but, we got turned around so much we nearly got lost.  Fascinating place to go - loved it.

Offline Andrew H

Istanbul
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 11:01:31 AM »
Thanks for all the info just got back from Istanbul. Did pretty well everything suggested including Ferry to the islands and the horse trip. Bazaar was busy [check gate number you enter and you can find your way back there] as was Palace, but trams great and so cheap.
I would recommend the President hotel in the centre walking distance to most things.

Only downside it rained 24/7 for 3 days ans Sobiah airport is quite a long way out but so much more pleasant than Dalaman. Food [and wine] can be expensive but worth getting an internal flight there if you are staying in Calis etc as we pretty much had the plane to ourselves going up there.

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
Istanbul
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 22:15:09 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Connor

The Grand Bazaar was amazing.  I'm usually quite good at mental navigation but, we got turned around so much we nearly got lost.  Fascinating place to go - loved it.

If you get lost in the Bazaar just head down hill  ;)

Offline Firo

Istanbul
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 08:14:11 AM »
Can't wait we are going soon for a break.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 08:52:43 AM by Firo »

Offline lissa

Istanbul
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 16:07:26 PM »
If you go in the springtime, it is worth walking through Gulhane Park, which is in the shadow of Topkapi palace. Very relaxing place amid the hustle and bustle with wonderful flower beds and there is also a museum in the grounds showing scientific inventions.
A visit to Pera Palace hotel would be good - newly refurbished. I have not seen since refurbishment but there used to be a cafe, very art deco, which I would have thought would have been kept. Also this is the hotel where Agatha Christie wrote Murder on the Orient Express! Hotel is situated near to Istiklal Caddesi, and you can reach this by using the Tunel - worth seeing.
 This part of Istanbul has different architecture to Sultanahmet, churches and embassy buildings that are interesting though. Also Cicek Pasagi off Istiklal Cad.

Offline Firo

Istanbul
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 13:44:24 PM »
We loved Istanbul.
6 days and 5 nights filled with loads of things to do and places to see.
Favourite place was Dolmabahce Palace and the Bascilica Cisterns were amazing.
Great transport links so easy to get around.
Have to go back again as we never made it to the enormous Shopping Malls this time.
Weather was dry and just a little colder than here. Hotel used and recommended was the Hali. Breakfast taken on roof terrace overlooking the Hagia Sofia, the Bosphorus and Blue Mosque.
Look out when there for the airport shuttle to Sabiha Gokcen airport only 10 euro per person from your hotel and he did the journey in 1 hour.
All on all a great break.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 13:47:04 PM by Firo »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf