Author Topic: Lycian way : Olu to Kabak  (Read 4414 times)

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Lycian way : Olu to Kabak
« on: December 01, 2010, 16:33:07 PM »
valleyboy's photos of Kabak have encouraged us to visit the wonderful place again during our next stay in April.  We wondered if we were being realistic in hoping that we would be able to walk from Olu Deniz down to Kabak on the lycian way.  Now, we are not super fit, but like a bit of a gentle stroll now and then, so would we cope ??!!  Those hashers of you out there, could you give us some guidance ?  How far is it, how long would you expect it to take and how many Efes would I need at the end of it ?!   (I do have the book by Ms Crowe,but it is in Turkey on my coffee table, which is a fat lot of good as I'm currently in Cambridge !!!).  Any one done it ?

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 17:02:26 PM »
Simply put, No not easy. The Lycian Way from Top of Olu Deniz hill to Kabak would take a good 3 and a half to 4 hours, to go down to the beach is quite a steep path, so coming back up can be quite exhausting. Best bet is Dolmus to Faralya, and walk down from there.

Offline calvin 1949

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 17:05:13 PM »
Hi Pookie ,some friends  of ours walked the lycian way last year I have a copy of the itineray ,if you want it  :). for the part you want to do it reads,
first Day Ovacik-Kirmi-Faralya  then they stopped at the Faralya Montenegro Hotel overnight
day two Faralya-Kabak-Alinca 17km approx 6 and a half hours .stopping at the Dervish lodge on the second night ,will give you a copy of details next time you are over unless you need before ,then you can email me your address and I will forward them to you  :)

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 17:44:08 PM »
Quite demanding this section Pookie even for fairly seasoned walkers, as Diverbaz says the best thing to do is to trek from Faralya I think it's approximately 4Km from there to Kabak, the tracks are fairly rugged underfoot, but with time and care "do-able", good footwear,common sense and water a must !!! - Well worth it !!!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 08:13:27 AM »
Or you can cheat and get a dolmus all the way from Oludeniz to Kabak. They run regularly but I'm not sure of the schedules for April.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 08:28:47 AM »
We adventures out that way in October. We have travelled many mountain roads in the French alps in the snow but we found this road very hairy by comparison, the thought of being in a dolmus, blimey the view would have to be absolutely amazing!

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 12:13:42 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgeous_bird

We adventures out that way in October. We have travelled many mountain roads in the French alps in the snow but we found this road very hairy by comparison, the thought of being in a dolmus, blimey the view would have to be absolutely amazing!

Dolmus drive not for the "faint hearted" !! GB, but the views are worth it (if you can keep your eyes open long enough !) :D

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 13:44:12 PM »
Agreed, it was spectacular in more ways than one - to be honest we were just exploring and had no idea that this hidden gem was there. We went there and back just to "see how far" and the bit between the there and back was - well lets just say a white knuckle ride. Ok of there is nothng coming towards you. If there is -likely to be Turkish and well say no more!

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 14:50:55 PM »
The only thing is now, Kabak is becoming more popular (particularly in season), and the dolmus so infrequent they are often "packed to the gunnels" and the only thing you get to see are someone's armpits !!!  8)

Offline amanda bullock

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 10:05:33 AM »
years ago we walked from the petrol station at Ovacik to Faralya with the estate agent.OMG! it nearly killed me,don't be too adventerous.we are over at easter Pookie if you fancy organising a gentle trek!x

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf