Author Topic: Travelling from the UK by car...... HELP.....  (Read 7809 times)

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
Travelling from the UK by car...... HELP.....
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 11:05:21 AM »
Great write up, thanks for sharing it. 1 question, do you have an appx cost of ferry/chunnel, fuel & tolls please?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 11:09:25 AM »
Yikes 688 miles 1st day - I can feel the early adrenolin [:o]. This is something we decided we wanted to do in our 7 seater charabanc. The girls often talk about it and ask when it's going to happen. They think they'll have the adventure of their lives. I know better and I know they'd hate it before we got to the border (with England, not the Turkish border!).

Offline Pompeylil

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 14:24:26 PM »
Yikes 688 miles 1st day - I can feel the early adrenolin

We have friends spread far and wide in Scotland - they learnt from a very early age not to ask 'Are we there yet' !!!

Aberdeen at Easter with 3 quick stops -

Helensburgh done regularly with a quick top up of fuel - hubbys only regret is that we do insist on stopping for the loo!

Yorkshire and back in a short week-end to see friends.  Depends what you are used to. But the girls are good and we had plenty to keep them amused.
Amazon sell the I spy books - on a motorway, cars, travelling etc so we all played these games.  Took a dictionary (English) and made them learn to spell hard words, the youngest learnt her times tables too on that drive! She couldn't escape from us!  

have a student staying with us till Friday - once she has gone will pull out the diary again and post approx costs.

With 4 of us travelling and not always the option of a family room if we were quoted more than 100 euros for one large or two smaller rooms we said no thanks and made to leave. Twice we were asked how much we wanted to pay.
The girls are not very good at eating at 6 am in the morning - so we would skip breakfast in the hotels and eat further down the road at a service station or cafe.
As my previous post stated we had lots of water on board that was cold and bottles of squash that we poured into the water to make drinks.  Sausage rolls were also frozen and can satisfy a hungry child.  Fruit and dried snacks were also taken.
Would say it was the same as four of us flying as the hotel costs bumped up the price.  But will get the info together and post for you to browse over.
Don't let your kids take a photo of the tunnel just as you are about to enter it - the camera flash went off in the car, the second hubby turned on the lights - lots of panic and swearing in a second!  We both thought the entire fuse/electric system had blown in the car - until a voice said - Don't worry Daddy, it was only me taking a photo!!!!
When your travelling round, over and through mega pot holes don't let them play with an empty pringle tube with a rubber in it to make a drum!  The drum banged the car door the same time we went into a nasty hole.  Thought we had lost something from the back end of the car!!!  Again a little voice pops up - I've made a drum to beat to the music!

Anyway, sorry for waffling, but it was a superb trip.  Only once did hubby discretly central lock the car doors.  This was on the road works in Romania when we had a group of boys come begging to the car doors.
Our daughters lead a charmed life and this trip certainly opened their eyes to just how fortunate they are.

Offline Elsa Padfield

• Minehead, UK
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 19:08:38 PM »
Thanks for all this information Pompeylil.  We will do the trip (have to be next year though I 'spect)BUT we have a buyer for our house and probably won't be able to do it this year :(  On the market for over a year and as soon as we plan something we sell!  Can't grumble I suppose but now we can't find anything we want for the price we want to pay.  Maybe we should have the road trip instead? And then come home and live in a tent.

Offline Fastlady

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 23:23:24 PM »
I agree, great post Pompeylil - I think the place in Greece may have been Alexandropoulis?  Lovely little spa, seaside town.  I too have done the journey several times, using different routes - the worst country and one which I wouldn't want to revisit was Romania - held up by bandits and rogues posing as police several times.  But maybe the lowest point of the journey was when I managed to lock us out of our car, at 2am, in the deserted ferry border crossing between Romania and Bulgaria...if I said the air was blue, would you believe me, lol?  But as Pompeylil says, the feeling when you cross that final border into Turkey is unbelievable - home at last!!

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 00:02:58 AM »
Apologies for saying the Bospherous when it was the Dardanelles!Memory lapse!

Just driven back today from the west of Ireland and had a trip on my first ever hydrofoil, the Jonathan Swift,brilliant!Ireland was great! It really is the emerald isle.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf