Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Gocek
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 20:21:57 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by kaptainkrunchie

Pookie,
Talking to the owner a few years back he told me that the name should have been "Kebab Hospitality" but the signwriter ran out of space so they settled for "Kebab Hospital"

:D:Dno where but Turkey !!!!

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Gocek
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 21:19:29 PM »
Have to agree that the food at the Kebab Hospital is very nice and I was pleasantly surprised at how cheap it was. We sat on the seafront side of the restaurant and I was expecting it to be expensive with all the big yachts in the harbor.

Offline suehugh

Gocek
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 13:46:39 PM »
We had a day there in July.
The bay is picturesque.
The views from land are spoiled a bit as you have to peer through the masts of hundreds of boats to see anything.Daft place to put a marina
The meal we had was good and reasonable in price.Most of the restaurants were empty.
There is a small attractive beach, but this is privately owned.
The small shopping streets are really interesting, full of boating paraphanalia and ropes with funny knots and stuff.
Not really a place to holiday though.

Offline doubletwo

Gocek
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 22:20:13 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Anne

We often visit Gockek too Mr H.
No need to travel into Fethyie for the dolmus though you can catch it on the top road.

Where is the top road please and does the dolmus say it is going to Gockek.Thanks.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Gocek
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 23:19:50 PM »
Am not sure of the name of the road but if you were to walk or catch a dolmus going straight to the top of Baris Manco Bulvari and get off just as it turns right into Gunlukbasi, cross the road and you'll catch the dolmus to Gocek.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Gocek
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 23:35:03 PM »
Aside from the many amazing places I saw in Turkey, there is also Gocek. I can't remember going anywhere that was more disappointing. I was expecting Puerto Banus and found something that looks more like a flooded industrial estate :-\

Offline doubletwo

Gocek
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 21:57:37 PM »
Hmmmm. Now your post has made us think twice Keith.I know everyones taste is different but nothing is more annoying than going somewhere that many people say is great and when you get there you think exactly the opposite.I would like to know what exactly is the attraction of Gocek and is it worth using up a whole day of your holiday to see this attraction.suehugh did'nt seem to rate it either so maybe we will give it a miss.A nice boat trip might make a good substitution.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Gocek
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 22:09:50 PM »
Maybe that came across as a little more harsh than meant. Gocek is ok, but as suehugh suggested I think it has been woefully planned, if planned at all, and every 'improvement' to my mind scars it a little more. My problem was expectation - I had never been there and listened to tales of half million pound villas, rows and rows of megaboats and I was expecting something mind blowing. What I found was a pleasant enough but nothing special "High Street", a community that simply isn't evident in any way at all, a marina that I still today wonder might not be the Gocek marina as it is so formless and chaotic looking, and new developments that look more like the council "starter units" I used to see on UK industrial estates. At least there is the backdrop of the huge fuel tanks across the water.

I'd still suggest you go - there is definitely something I am missing - you need 300k to buy somewhere nice in Gocek! Thank God I have no taste...

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Gocek
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 23:06:21 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by doubletwo

I know everyones taste is different but nothing is more annoying than going somewhere that many people say is great and when you get there you think exactly the opposite.

Correct doubletwo - CBF members love Calis but if you showed other people some sides of Calis they would be fortified and "think exactly the oppossite".

So as scunner says "go and have a look at Gocek" - it may not even have to be a whole day visit if you start out early enough.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Gocek
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 23:13:12 PM »
I really don't know how you would fill a day at Gocek.
We have taken drive down there, walked to the marina and had
a meal.  The restaurants always seem empty.  Then a stroll
up and down the shopping street and that's about it.
It's pleasant enough but, like Scunner I cannot see why the
houses are so expensive there.   I would not advise you against
going, but don't plan for a full day.

I would suggest Kas as a better option for whole a day out.
There are nice winding narrow streets of shops heading down
to some really lovely restaurants that overlook the beach.
If you like beaches you could sunbathe and swim.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf