Author Topic: Istanbul Stop Over  (Read 3381 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Istanbul Stop Over
« on: July 27, 2012, 11:06:45 AM »
I know there has been lots written about Istanbul but I wonder if you can give me some advice please.

We are planning a trip to the UK in late October and after looking at the high prices being advertised for direct flights, we have decided to go with Turkish Airlines and spend a couple of nights both on the outward and return journey in Istanbul. So we are looking for a decent hotel in reasonable taxi distance from the airport and in an area well located for some of the attractions. Our budget is about £100 per night for the room. Any suggestions ?

Offline joan

Re: Istanbul Stop Over
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 11:52:52 AM »
We stayed at the Titanic Port Hotel when we had a stopover and we would definetly stay there again. Lots of resturaunts and shops within 2 minuites walk. Also they do free airport transfer (but not of a Sunday.) A nice hotel with nice rooms and nice staff.

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
Istanbul Stop Over
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 14:40:12 PM »
Thank you Joan, sounds good.

Offline Crimsonpoppy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 23:55:17 PM »
try myistanbul.co.uk. and istanbulairportshuttle.com. 10 euro return from sultanahmet to sabiha gokcen.

both very good

enjoy the trip

Offline julesbob0303

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 01:38:19 AM »
We recently stayed in Taksim Square (between the two airports in Istanbul) in Hotel Lush.  And it really was!  The rooms were fab and the breakfast even better!  And bang in the centre of everything.  Will definitely stay there again.  It was very reasonably priced, about £70 a night including breakfast.  (And the toiletries were amazing, including a gift box for each of us containing lots of little essentials - a real girl thing!)

Offline lol

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 10:16:15 AM »
We stayed here, lovely hotel & staff. Highly recommended. Small & friendly with very helpful service.
http://www.hoteldjem.com/index.html

Lorraine

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 08:51:55 AM »
Where did you decide to stay Rimms?

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
Istanbul Stop Over
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 13:00:41 PM »
We stayed at the Orient Express hotel which is in the Sultanahmet district, the hotel is not the poshest place we have ever stayed at but the rooms are absolutely fine for a short break, they are really clean, our bed linen was changed daily. What sets this hotel apart for us was the staff, from reception to the cleaning team, they were possibly the nicest and most helpful staff we have ever  encountered and they made our stay just about perfect in every way.

The hotel itself is situated near to Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque, Grand, Spice Bazaar and ferry terminal. It has a lovely roof top bar and restaurant with great views over the city and across the Bosporus. The food there was excellent andvgreat value for money. If you want a river view then you need to be on the 6 or 7th floor, the rooms at the rear of the hotel below those floors have a pretty restricted view. The rooms at the front of the hotel look onto a really busy street which is good if you like to watch the world go by.

The hotel was fantastic value for money in a city where prices could be sky high, but we also found that great value for money was never too far away either if you were prepared to look for it.

We will definitely return to the Orient Express as we both fell in love with Istanbul, I should also mention that the hotel will organise you a private transfer from and to the airport.

Offline Linda

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 14:13:30 PM »
I had also heard about the hotel and in particular the restaurant with it's panoramic views. Having just come back from Istanbul and whilst staying in Sultanahment we didnt actually stumble across it though so cannot comment any further ...

I can, however, wholeheartedly recommend the hotel we stayed in .... The Novano www.hotelnovano.com. The hotel is situated on a busy yet not noisy street with plenty of restaurants and a few bars. It is an easy 5 minute stroll to the centre of Sultanahment and the Aya Sofia & Blue Mosque etc. The hotel has had a full refurbishment to a very good standard and all of areas of the hotel were immacuately clean. The bedrooms are tastefully furnished with very comfortable beds with white linen and duvets, a radiator as well as air con and mosquito screens on some of the windows. There was also a fridge/mini bar which was very useful. The rooms were cleaned daily and fresh bath size towels were replaced every day. The breakfast was again excellant .. the usual Turkish style wiith the addition of made to order omlettes, scrambled or fried eggs. Unlimited tea, coffee & fruit juices were also provided. We paid 60 eur a night for a twin room, so our twin room worked out around £70 each, which er considered very good value for money for the location and standard of accomodation. The management and staff at the hotel were attentive and friendly and airport transfers can be provided on request. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel, which has unsurprisngly had favourable reviews on Tripadvisor and I cannot wait to return  :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 19:36:28 PM »
We stay in one of the Hotels in chain that the Hotel that Rimms stayed in belongs to.  They have a range of Hotels in Istanbul from budget upwards.  Could really recommend this chain.  This is the website with all the Hotels on it.   :)
http://www.sirkecikonak.com/   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf