Author Topic: Dalaman Internation Airport Oversized Luggage  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Sus

Dalaman Internation Airport Oversized Luggage
« on: January 09, 2013, 08:55:09 AM »
Please can someone tell me if they have brought any over sized luggage or articles in a cardboard box into the International Arrivals at Dalaman Airport, and if so, do you have to go to a certain area to collect the luggage.

We normally clear in Istanbul and there any over sized or boxes do not come on the conveyor belt you have to go and collect it from a certain area, but this is our last trip to Turkey and we have a load of things so we are sending it straight through to Dalaman.

Offline calvin 1949

Re: Dalaman Internation Airport Oversized Luggage
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 09:27:14 AM »
They normaly bring oversize luggage to the side of the carosel where you collect your cases ,or have done with my golf club carrier etc  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 10:15:50 AM »
Can you just turn up with oversized stuff at Dalaman or do you need to sort it with the airline first? At Heathrow I always used to see people with 3 trolleys stacked high with Panasonic tellys :D

Say if you had a rug/carpet and wanted to take it to the UK - it's not the weight that is the problem, you can book extra luggage weight - but the dimensions are a little excess in the length department  :)

I was thinking specifically easyJet, where you can book more luggage. Thanks..!

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 11:58:06 AM »
I don't think it's a particular issue, when I was moving stuff here from the UK, I bought an A1 sized artist's portfolio case to transport all my pictures. That went back & forth several times; to & from different airports & with different airlines & without any problem, provided that I was within the weight allowance.

Incidentally, would the carpet / rug fold rather than roll to make it more manageable proportions?

Offline Lotty

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 12:31:23 PM »
When my friends bought a very large rug it was folded and wrapped by the seller into the smallest square bundle. Very compact for sending. Or taking on airplanes. They were amazed at how small it was. (It was actually sent for them by the seller and was delivered almost as soon as they got home).

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 13:59:26 PM »
Turkish Airlines don't seem to care about large parcels so I always use them if I want to carry large odd shaped parcels.
Some other airlines are not so amenable.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 14:09:25 PM »
I had never thought of folding instead of rolling at all. But sadly it is a very thick rug, not one of the more traditional ones - I'd say around 1" thick with a deep, sculptured pattern. I doubt it would fold more than in half. You've got me thinking though!

Offline Fran

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 14:13:43 PM »
We bought a rug that was quite thick and about 7ft long, couldn't believe how small they managed to fold it and put it in a small canvas type bag, carried it as hand luggage.

Offline Sus

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 02:51:56 AM »
Thanks everyone, we are traveling with Turkish Airlines from Doha, we are bringing  amongst 230 kgs of other items a Afghanistan 3.5 x 2.5 mts hand made rug with us, and it will be folded, but the airline said if it was a rolled  carpet you  have to prebook it as over sized luggage when you book your ticket, and to make sure there is a solid type of cylinder inside so the carpet does not bend and get damaged.

Offline angela

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 11:38:35 AM »
In a similar vein, when we come out next year we are thinking of bringing our belongings as excess baggage. our first thought was driving a van across, but we are having second thoughts on that one. I would be interested to know how those of you have moved your belongings en masse have got on (we are including two Jack Russells!!)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf