Author Topic: Cappadocia  (Read 5089 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Cappadocia
« on: January 22, 2013, 17:51:39 PM »
I looked at previous posts as we were thinking of taking a trip there on our next visit to Calis. However, I note it's 12 hours on the bus or driving.  Is there any other mode of transport to get there as don't fancy driving or sitting on a bus for 12 hours. :( 

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Re: Cappadocia
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 18:22:23 PM »
I don't think there are any direct flights from Dalaman, but from Istanbul you can fly to Nevsehir, which is the airport for Cappadocia.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 18:36:07 PM »
Bus or car are your only direct routes. Otherwise it's flying via Istanbul.

Your best option is to make it into a 3 or 4 day trip by car. It'll give you plenty of time to take in the scenery and see some of the real Turkey.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 20:02:00 PM »
O.K. Thanks for that.. Don't think Phil would fancy a long drive.  He has to drive to Aberdeen and back every day so likes a rest on holiday..However, will consider the 3-4 day suggestion.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 20:14:58 PM »
Definitely well worth the 3/4 day trip - one day to do the all day and into the evening tour that isn't possible to do under your own steam because the distance covered to see all the main sights is vast.

And although I haven't done it the sunrise trip up in the balloon must be amazing.

And if you stay in Goreme you can walk up to the museum caves with all the paintings on the walls and spend some time shopping in Goreme and nearby local villages/towns which you can get to by dolmuş fills out a day.

Offline sunlover

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 20:38:47 PM »
I would also love to do this trip.... when we retire will be the time as no hurry then..

roll on retirement, then we can spend more time looking around Turkey as sooooo much to see in the country.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 20:59:05 PM »
It gave me an idea and Gordon hasn't said no way.  I have just looked at flights from Gatwick to Kayseri , there is a change over at Istanbul, but I can live with that and then an hours drive from Kayseri  April 2 adults £103 each. stay for as long at we need, book a hotel with Travel Republic then a coach ride back to Fethiye.   Well it appeals to me.

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 21:02:55 PM »

Come on Gordy give Loz what she wants   ;)

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 21:09:08 PM »
Shhhhhhhhhhh I have yet to tell him of the 3 hour stop in Istanbul, or the hours drive from the airport.  I deliver the news in stages  ;)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 21:17:59 PM »
It's pretty easy to kill the 3 hours at Ataturk. By the time you've walked from the International Terminal, done the visa and passport formalities, and then gone to the Domestic Terminal and had something to eat and drink it'll be time to head for the departure gate.

Look for the Botanik Cafe in the Domestic Terminal. It's where all the staff eat and it's proper Turkish food at staff prices for everyone.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf