Author Topic: Just hit 3.30  (Read 18625 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Re: Just hit 3.30
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2014, 19:20:18 PM »
It broke my heart today when buying a few quid for a trip back to blighty, I had to hand over 2,700 of my lira to get £1,000. Particularly annoying as I had originally bought the lira at 2.85 to the pound. Ah well, you live and learn.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2014, 19:29:00 PM »
Rimms - I think you mean 3,700 otherwise can you give me your source - please     ;)

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2014, 19:38:45 PM »
Oops, well spotted Ian, 3,700 it was

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2014, 19:50:53 PM »
In all seriousness - we are in the same position as you and I know quite a few others in the same boat. It is quite clear that for some this will mean the difference between being able to afford to go back to the UK and now realistically  no longer having that option! With the worries around SGK this will be a very stressful time for many in that position.

I know there will be those who will say "more fool them ....." but that is unfair for a number of reasons - especially looking at the stability of the currency over the past 7/8 years and it is sooooo easy to be smart after the event!

Like you we bought most of our lira savings at 2.55 / 2.75 and we will do our best not to exchange to sterling and spend them in Turkey albeit with inflationary impacts diluting their value.

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2014, 20:25:50 PM »
I guess we have little choice than to play the long game, you never know, it may get back to 2.2 and we will all make a packet, I'm not holding my breath however.

I know a number of people are feeling more than a little down with a number of things that are happening here at present, but one thing I've learned is that a year in Turkey is an awful long time, of course, it could get even worse but let's hope with a fair wind and a favourable election outcome, we can look forward to a returning feel good factor.

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2014, 20:38:59 PM »
Agreed - and it is still my first preferred place to call home as the benefits still outweigh the negatives   :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf