Author Topic: New residency laws from April 2014  (Read 3956 times)

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
New residency laws from April 2014
« on: March 04, 2014, 18:53:12 PM »
Only 6 weeks to go and I have yet to find any DEFINITIVE information about this.
I have e-mailed the British Consulate in Turkey, The Turkish Consulate in London
and received no reply. I have also contacted a notary in Fethiye who has contacted
the police who say they don't know of any 'imminent' changes.
The 'proposed' change is for new applicants to apply in their country of departure and
only a one year visa will be granted (renewals done in Turkey) No costs published yet.
Is this new law going to be postponed at the last minute ?
Angela and I are due to depart for retirement in Fethiye in October so will (under the new
laws - if they happen) have to apply before we go.
Did the local meetings with the British Consulate elucidate on this ?

Ta muchly for any info   :)

Offline Menthol

Re: New residency laws from April 2014
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 19:48:13 PM »
All I can say, Kevin, is that Sule encouraged Jav and I to obtain our Residency Permits when we were out in January so that we received 3 year permits 'before the changes in April'.

I'm also going to try and obtain an RP for my Mum when we go out next week and see if I can beat the 'proposed change date' once more. I'll let you know how I get on and if I find out anything that is certain regarding RP procedure. I will be seeing Sule to organise my Mum's RP, so will be asking. No guarantees that she will be any the wiser of course ......

It is a frustrating situation isn't it?  :-\

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 09:44:58 AM »
Is there a time limit on this ,our 's run out in November would i be able to apply now or in march .?

Offline jackstee

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 10:11:25 AM »
My wife has just submitted her renewal for 3 years. Not a problem.
She was also 5 weeks overdue (waiting for new passport) but only 60 TL fine.

Offline CharlotteC

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 11:00:36 AM »
What a terrible position to be in and April is just around the corner!
What are the current residency laws, say if I applied for residency now? Do you still have to have approximately 300 euros per month in a Turkish bank account and how long can you spend outside the country before your permit is nulled? All the websites I've tried to search on only have details of the upcoming potential changes.
Thank you  :)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 11:15:59 AM »
There is no definitive answer (to the new process) and until the new changes are actually implemented it is unlikely anyone can predict how they will affect the application process.

Personally, I think the new process (as described in the legislation) is likely to cause confusion amongst both applicants and the Polis when it is implemented, and ultimately put folks off buying property to use as long stay holiday homes. 

JF

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 16:33:56 PM »
 I renewed my RP in December 2013 for three years. I don't have a Turkish bank account. I just printed a a months statement of my UK Barclays current account.

I would be very interested in the info regarding RP being cancelled if you are out of Turkey for a length of time. We do six months in Turkey and six months in the UK.

DonM

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 18:57:03 PM »
Don, your RP will not be cancelled if you leave the country for more than six months, from what I understand the rule is that after eight years of permanent residency, you are allowed to apply for indefinite residence permit.

The definition of permanent residence in the country is that you don't spend more than six months in any one year during your eight years away from Turkey, unless the absence is on health grounds.

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 19:48:29 PM »
Thanks for that.  :)  :)

DonM

Offline Menthol

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 23:30:19 PM »
And people we know received their 'permanent residencies permits' in February this year, having completed 8 years living in Turkey.

Agree with Charlotte and Kev though - the information is not at all clear and Google searches are mired with the current proposed changes as opposed to any other information regarding RP.

And whilst the proposed changes will I am sure as John F says, put off a lot of prospective property purchasers, aren't these rules based on reciprocal agreements between nations?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf