Author Topic: Sakar Tepe Breakfast  (Read 2866 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Sakar Tepe Breakfast
« on: October 01, 2014, 14:05:14 PM »
Sakar Tepe is the highest peak of a range of mountains that runs along the north side of the Gulf of Gokova from Akyaka to Bodrum. It is over 3000ft high. A friend who likes precision tells me it is 30ft taller than Snowdon. However, unlike Snowdon which attains its height gradually, standing on lower foothills, Sakar Tepe reaches its altitude in a sudden rush from the coast, via steep wooded slopes, then steeper scree slopes, and finally vertical cliffs.

From the top, on a clear day, you can see as far as Lake koycegiz in the east and the island of Kos in the west. So I'm told, but I've never been there on a clear day; there has always been a heat haze. The view remains impressive - both down to Akyaka and along the gulf.

A year or so ago a little cafe was built at the top so you can visit for breakfast. This is a fairly standard koy kahvalti, but that is not the main attraction.

And then, when you've finished breakfast, you can just unpack your paraglider, take a running jump off the cliff top and sail gracefully down to the coast.

Offline patrice

Re: Sakar Tepe Breakfast
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 18:19:56 PM »
Great photo's  8)

Offline Eric

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 21:56:34 PM »
Snowdon is actually 1,085 metres (3,560 ft).  Great pics though.

Offline Somerset Simon

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 05:59:46 AM »
I never realised Snowdon was only half the height of Babadag - so it's only a hill in Wales!

Babadağ is a mountain near Fethiye, in Muğla Province, southwest Turkey. The mountain has a principal summit at an elevation of 1,969 metres and a second one called "Karatepe" at an elevation of 1,400 metres. Wikipedia

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 09:59:52 AM »
Thanks Eric. I shall take pleasure in presenting this to my friend next time I see him.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf