Author Topic: Running costs and bank accounts  (Read 3133 times)

Offline Marg

« on: July 11, 2005, 19:36:40 PM »
Not strictly a new topic but I can't find any up to date info on running costs. We have a 2 bedroom appartment on a complex of 9 with communal pool. How much would any of you estimate the running costs to be and what is the easiest and best way of paying the bills? Is it easy to transfer money to our account over there and arrange direct debits?
On the subject of banks which is the best to go with? We at present use Disbank who we have trouble communicating with as no one seems to speak a word of English! They also charge us 31p a month for the priviledge! Anyone know what that's for?

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
Running costs and bank accounts
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 00:18:30 AM »
Hi Marg
We use Garanti Bankasi where we have a sterling account and a lira current account. So far we have a standing order to pay our electricity bills but have much more to arrange in September. They do seem to be fairly popular among other members of the forum.
We have a duplex 3 bed apartment on a complex of 10 x 2 bed and 10 x 3 bed. There is a decent sized pool, managed gardens, bar, pool table and 24hr security. For this £590 per year. Then there is water, electricity and council tax. The latter we believe to be "not much".  
Ken & Sue
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 00:23:33 AM by kenkay »

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 05:51:42 AM »
We have a five bedroom property in Fethiye and our last water bill was 37 YTL and the electric was 36 YTL but we do use electric for cooking which probably pushes it up a bit.
Everyones running costs will be different but this may give you a guide :)

Offline raff

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 07:25:35 AM »
We bank at the Finans Bank in Fethiye-Ayse speaks excellent English and will set up your savings accounts and standing order for the electric. Water is a different matter - it seems you can't set up a standing order for that- we are just hoping that our neighbour will let us know if a water bill comes in. As for council tax- we went last month to register for it (our Tapu came through in January this year)but the guy at the council said that we don't have to pay anything until next year - between Jan & May. I don't think it will cost much.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 08:30:32 AM »
My agent just paid a years council tax for me, the bill was £16.

Rimms

Offline johnl

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 12:51:05 PM »
hello.whilst i accept that we are all different when it comes to expenses,could anyone say if they think an income of £800 per month would meet the usual outgoings (food,utilities,eating out a couple of times a week}? we are hoping to move there in the next year.
thanks. john

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 15:46:19 PM »
Easy Peasy.... whilst we do not run a car we live well within that budget including a well stocked drinks fridge!  If you avoid the higher priced tourist eating places 3/4 meals a week would be the norm and still leave a substantial buffer to cope with the unexpected. I make the assumption though that you are asking for two people.

Offline doll

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 12:46:33 PM »
where is john living
he must be rich £800 -800ytl is more like it
i would be dead cuffed £800 housekeeping....im rich im rich

Offline doll

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 12:50:15 PM »
water bill     17 ytl
electic bill   70ytl
phone adsl     120ytl