Author Topic: Hand luggage  (Read 6977 times)

Offline KIP

• Newly Registered
Re: Hand luggage
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 20:41:09 PM »
I flew Thomas Cook in November from Manchester. I booked hold luggage as their 6kg hand luggage limit wouldn't do me for a week even though I pack light (on other airlines with 10kg cabin limits I don't bother with hold luggage).

Nobody weighed any cabin bags and some people had at least 10kgs and were not challenged.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 21:10:09 PM »
I flew Monarch from Manchester early November. My hand luggage was weighed & was told it was 0.5kg over & would need to put something in my hold luggage, as it was 0.7kgs short.

I spent the time, until the flight was due to board, shopping, & must have added 5 - 6 kgs, after all there is a Spar in arrivals, with a tempting array of cheese & sausages.  :P

Arrived to board the plane & found that there were 6 (yes 6) passengers & as many cabin attendant. So why was there all the fuss over 500grams  ???

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 21:20:25 PM »
This may sound like a very stupid question but why do people, not just honeycombe, ask how strictly the rules are enforced.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 22:14:02 PM »
Because they wish to exceed the allowance H and wonder if they will get caught.
I have to admit that if I knew they didn't weight check I would exceed the allowance also.   ;)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 22:33:10 PM »
For me bewva it's not the weight that's necessarily the issue. It's the size. I am thoroughly fed up with people trying to put "hand luggage" that is bigger than my hold luggage in the overhead lockers. And worse yet not going near it till they land at Dalaman.

If you don't need something from your hand luggage during the flight then put it in your hold luggage. Simple.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 23:07:24 PM »
Rubbish!

These days hand luggage is an alternative to (charged for) hold luggage - or even just an extension of the hold baggage allowance. They started it by being so tight on allowance and monitoring it mercilessly. Easyjet regularly ask if anyone will put their cabin baggage in the hold free of charge because they have too much for the overhead storage available. They caused this by making hold luggage an add on!

I regularly fly for one or two nights away and get everything into a cabin size case because I refuse to pay for a suitcase (even if the company are paying) - and guess what? Everyone else on the flight had the same idea. There aren't more overhead lockers these days, but there is substantially more cabin baggage for the reasons given.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2015, 23:15:10 PM »
Bullocks !

So you would allow any size of "hand luggage"

Besides I had assumed that we were discussing holiday flights and not business ones.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 00:00:03 AM »
Poppycock!

I do the same on holiday flights too so there :p

Where did I say I would allow hand baggage of any size? You said if you don't need it on the flight put it in the hold and that is ridiculous. If I'm allowed 5kg/6kg/10kg/any weight as long as the bag dimensions conform, I'm filling it with 5kg/6kg/10kg/any weight as long as the bag dimensions conform and as I never get up during a flight I won't be needing any of it till I am at my destination - and by the way, whether I need it on the flight or not is none of your business!

Offline peter16

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 00:31:09 AM »
Can I hold the handbags for the pair of you  :o 8) :o

Offline yabanci

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 06:47:09 AM »
No need Peter, they should fit in the overhead lockers.  ;)  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf