Author Topic: Scanning luggage at customs Dalaman  (Read 6764 times)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Scanning luggage at customs Dalaman
« on: March 26, 2015, 19:09:23 PM »
I was very suprised on a recent trip to Turkey to have to put all my stuff through an X-ray check at the customs bit at Dalaman, I honestly don't recall seeing a scanner there before unless it has been there and iv just never noticed it, on speaking to others it seems like they weren't random checks but everyone was having to do it, I just wondered how that will work when the season begins if everyone has to have their luggage rescanned on leaving Dalaman if there is only one scanner...
There is going to be a lot of hold ups on leaving the airport...

Offline grahamturner09

Re: Scanning luggage at customs Dalaman
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 20:54:05 PM »
It is always there I had to put my bags through last April but it's not in use when it is busy. Not sure what they look for though because they didn't say anything about my bacon or cheese

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 02:46:24 AM »
Karennina what cloud are you on? On leaving Dalaman it has been common practice to scan your luggage TWICE for as long as I can remember. which approaches 10 years.

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 05:41:01 AM »
Kenkay, I believe Karennina means upon arrival at Dalaman, when leaving the baggage hall.
But again, the scanner has been there for many years.  8)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 08:05:42 AM »
Yes and to make this inbound check even more annoying is that they do it, I believe, to everyone who comes into the domestic terminal whose baggage has been transferred from an international flight to Istanbul, then putting you onto a bus driving you across to the international terminal just so they can carry out this check that they do not do with direct international flights to Dalaman.  On a bad day adding up to an hour on your journey.  Only in Turkey...doh!

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 09:09:56 AM »
Yes and to make this inbound check even more annoying is that they do it, I believe, to everyone who comes into the domestic terminal whose baggage has been transferred from an international flight to Istanbul,

I've travelled this way 4/5 times, but only had luggage scanned once

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 09:10:10 AM »
Kenkay I 100% agree with you as in what cloud am I on it is to do with getting old sadly.
Hamlet is quite correct that I did mean on coming in to Turkey, perhaps I did not make thst clear in my original post  ;)
I have never noticed the scanner there I put my hands up to that probably becos I'm normally laden down like a packhorse and just want to get through everyone and get on my transfer...this time I only had hand luggage and duty frees so was one of the first to leave the airport, I was suprised to have to do it as was the first time in nine years I hVe had to, then to hear from other passengers outside the airport they were checking everyone's luggage...
Fair enough we were the only flight arriving and it was not a full flight I was just curious that if this is now a new procedure how it is going to work during the busy times if they are indeed going to be scanning every passengers luggage with just one piece of equipment...

Offline Dutchie

Scanning luggage at customs Dalaman
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 11:36:01 AM »
Equipment has been there for years.
International transfers passengers tend to be less so they have plenty of time to scan when they're bored during the winter.

I arrived a couple of weeks ago and all luggage got scanned. They found some kind of pump in the luggage of the person before me. When asked how much it has cost the man answered "58 pounds". One of the staff translated this as 580 pounds to his supervisor and they were already caluclating how much he would have to pay.

I decide to interfere and pointed our their mistake and it seemed like the man was allowed to enter it without surcharge. I'm not sure about it since I didn't want to linger around. Would be nice to know if someone knows the result (It was a couple from Kalkan).

Offline ukchris

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 16:17:08 PM »
we are coming out in 3 weeks, normally bring a few kilo's of bacon to last the duration, not sure I will bother now. Also, the allowance for spirits out of the UK to Turkey used to be 5 Litres, is this still the same ?

Anyone know how the shop in the baggage reclaim compares in price to duty free in the UK ?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 17:58:27 PM »
No need to bring bacon as there are Pork Shops that sell danish bacon which is very good.
This is the Duty Free Allowance from Turkey into the U.K.
https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/arrivals-from-outside-the-eu
As for the shop at Dalaman depends what you want to buy, but we have bought there and prices are similar for what we buy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf