Author Topic: Hiring a car when abroad...Stupid Changes.  (Read 3992 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Hiring a car when abroad...Stupid Changes.
« on: April 27, 2015, 18:14:01 PM »
Cannot believe this from our Government and think this is bureaucracy gone mad
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32481382
It will make no different to hiring a car in Turkey, I am sure   ;D  ;)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Hiring a car when abroad...Stupid Changes.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 19:20:46 PM »
The press are just making a mountain out of nothing. It's a non-story.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 23:24:33 PM »
I could only foresee a rental " problem " with any "new " drivers who have never had the paper part of the licence. For those of us who have this part, we can keep it , the Government are not asking us to surrender it!  Therefore , if ever asked for it in the future, by ANY vehicle rental company anywhere on this planet, just produce it, it will never become an illegal document !  I cannot see why there is such a bloody hullabaloo about an extremely trivial matter !!

Offline batman

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 08:09:30 AM »
Calm down Gorden A don't blow a gasket !
I agree you can keep your paper counterpart but it wont show any future points you may get so car hire companies wont except it, unless your in Turkey ! I am sure the international car hire companies like Herz, Avis etc. will most likely follow the new rules but local companies might not bother.

But I do agree it is a bloody stupid idea.

How do other country's deal with the points on a licence when they only have a photo card one?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 08:46:07 AM »
What's bloody stupid about it ? The fuss that some people are making about the reduction in paperwork from a government department. "Well done DVLA" is what I say.

How do other country's deal with the points on a licence when they only have a photo card one?

Strangely enough, the same way in which DVLA will be dealing with it, electronically.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes

Offline kawasakikid

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 09:40:07 AM »
The rot set in about 5 years ago when the DVLA stopped issuing the the plastic wallets that held the paper counterpart, probably to save money at the time. Inevitably therefore, the card and the paper part became separated.

I have still got my official issue plastic wallet and it seems perfectly sensible to have the two together.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Offline IanK

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 10:27:09 AM »
Don't think I have ever been asked for the paper part when renting in Turkey. I have in the UK though.

Ian

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 12:54:28 PM »
The rot set in about 5 years ago when the DVLA stopped issuing the the plastic wallets that held the paper counterpart, probably to save money at the time. Inevitably therefore, the card and the paper part became separated.

I have still got my official issue plastic wallet and it seems perfectly sensible to have the two together.

We all thought the dinosaurs had been wiped-out, but. it appears that at least one of 'em survived and is posting here on CBF.  ;)

Offline kawasakikid

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 16:20:33 PM »

We all thought the dinosaurs had been wiped-out, but. it appears that at least one of 'em survived and is posting here on CBF.   ;)

And lots of fossils and ostriches too!  I never did read the final page of my dinosaur book.  I was frightened that something bad was going to happen!

For those with a short memory span, here is a list of failed UK IT projects:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_failed_and_overbudget_custom_software_projects

You can of course, ignore the items that relate to the USA, but my rough estimation is that there has been £40 billion (yes billion) literally wasted and just flushed away because of incompetence.

Not included in the above list is:-

The eBoarders Programme (2007 -2013). I don't know the final cost of that failure, but compensation payments and government legal costs amounted to £259 million.

The BBC Digital Media Initiative (2008 - 2013). Approx cost £100 million;

Ministry of Justice Back Office Functions Project (2014) Approx cost £56 million.

And now- the biggest Daddy of them all is about to be unleashed on the unsuspecting British public (cue roll of drums and dim the lights). It is The Smart Meter Programme. The estimated cost is £11 billion, but you can bet your bottom dollar it will be significantly more. Many experts question the need and cost of such a system.  That is of course, if it ever actually works.

Given the above, you can hopefully see why I am highly skeptical of this new IT system and the enormous costs yet again being wasted for something that simply does not work or will not be used at a time when everyone is expected to tighten their belts. The irony of it all is that this new system of computerised licences is intended to streamline the system. The old system cost approximately £8 million a year to administer, which in today's terms and given the size of the UK economy, is extremely good value for money.

Under the new system and instead of providing a code valid for only 72 hours, you can take with you a printout of a PDF document available from the DVLA website. Eh... Sorry, I am suffering from a bad case of deja vu or there is a glitch in the matrix.

Don't forget the DVLA website crashed last year after the road tax disc was abolished.

Yes, I am a dinosaur.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 16:32:44 PM »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf