Author Topic: Cigars - Cafe Creme  (Read 4387 times)

Offline Narrator

• Newly Registered
Cigars - Cafe Creme
« on: August 03, 2015, 15:04:17 PM »
Hi everyone
Am flying into Dalaman next week, arriving around 9pm, for a well deserved two week break. As a cigar smoker (Cafe cremes) I believe that I am allowed to bring 50 cigars into Turkey which I plan to buy at the duty fee shop at Gatwick. Unfortunately I don't think that will last me one week let alone two. I also understand there is a duty free shop at Dalaman arrivals and so was wondering if I would be able to purchase any more cigars in there and if so will it still be open at 9pm.

Thanks

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Re: Cigars - Cafe Creme
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 15:07:23 PM »
Duty free in Dalaman arrivals is open 24 / 7 in the season.  Can't say I have seen any cafe creme in there, but frankly have never looked.   ;)

Offline Somerset Simon

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 15:15:11 PM »
I always thought that the Dalaman arrivals shop is still part of your Duty Free allowance as you may get scanned on exit from the arrivals hall?

Offline Saga Louts

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 15:57:20 PM »
Duty free has told my husband on several occasions he can buy from there on top of the allowance he brings in. We always buy a second lot but if the scanner is operation we wait for them to scan someone just in case. The girls in the shop say its because the revenue goes to Turkey. the worst that will appen is that they will fine you.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 16:08:08 PM »
Duty free has told my husband on several occasions he can buy from there on top of the allowance he brings in. We always buy a second lot but if the scanner is operation we wait for them to scan someone just in case. The girls in the shop say its because the revenue goes to Turkey. the worst that will appen is that they will fine you.

The staff in the " Duty Free " shops in Turkish airports will tell arriving AND departing tourists ANYTHING in order to increase sales !!When we lived in Turkey, a very good friend of ours, who had spent a fortnights holiday with us, was told, at a Duty Free outlet, that he was allowed to take 4000 cigarettes back to the U.K. from Dalaman, he did, and had ALL of his cigarettes confiscated upon arrival at Gatwick , even the permissible legal amount was taken from him . Why be so greedy, and break the law, take back what you are legally permitted to take, or give up the filthy habit !!

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 16:26:37 PM »
What you buy at the duty free after baggage reclaim doesn't count towards your main duty free allowance - you need to keep the receipts (from both sets of purchases) so you can show what was bought outside Turkey and what inside Turkey, just in case. 

I just went to the Gumruk site link that used to have the quotas but they've moved it and I can't find a new one.  They used to list your DF allowance coming into the country and a separate table showing what you could buy on arrival.  Anyone have an up to date link?

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 16:30:29 PM »
Yes, in the days I used to follow the filthy habit I remember Dalaman staff telling me all sorts of tale tales of what they could swear I was allowed to take back to the UK. Tens of thousands of cigarettes, tens of litres of spirits, unlimited wine, a couple of slave girls but no more that one male camel.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 17:21:04 PM »
Phil used to smoke cigars, but, I cannot remember any Cafe Creme's in the Duty Free at Dalaman. He did used to by a box of Havanas and also used to say the cigars in metal tubes (on the counter) were good, at the time they where about 3 TL each (this was about 4-5 years ago)  and they were called "Tubes".
He stopped smoking in Turkey after getting his teeth whitened and Cagatay told him not to smoke for a couple of days.  That was it, he never smoked again.

Offline peat

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 17:34:29 PM »
What I struggle to understand is why cigarettes cost about a quarter of the UK price but cigars/cigarillos cost much the same as in the UK.
I only smoke  when on holiday but the price  of cigars relative to the cigarette price annoys me.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 18:11:25 PM »
My guess is it's all to do with the tax put on cigarettes by our government  >:(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf