Author Topic: Dalaman Airport is Number One!  (Read 7665 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Dalaman Airport is Number One!
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 00:34:44 AM »
 :angel:

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 08:59:34 AM »
I've been in a few of those airports and I certainly wouldn't say they are the worst I've been in. Dalaman yes.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 09:14:51 AM »
Ditto.

Other than Dalaman, out of the nine or ten I've used from the list only CDG deserves its place in my opinion.  Skytrax users must be a right fussy bunch, or maybe they like hanging around airports.

I approach any airport with the view that food and drink will be expensive and there are likely to be queues for check in, passport control and security.  If anything works out good, then its a bonus.

JF

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 09:29:25 AM »
You would approach Aberdeen Airport wondering if you could get food or even a seat.  Once through Customs. There is one small restaurant, most people who get food there overspill into the normal seating area. 
Last time we went into this place, we were lucky enough to find a seat, but my seat had a huge rip in it and all the foam (which was filthy) was hanging out.  When  Phil went up to get food, he was told there would be a 30 minute wait, so we could pay and get a number to take to our table.  As I recall it was £10.95 for a burger. 
We had no time to wait and bought a couple of salads from Boots.
The reason we were late was after queuing for the check-in  about 1hour 30 minutes.  We then had to get in a queue that started at the door of the Airport and went on through the shops eventually to reach the customs.
To say that Aberdeen is the Oil Captial of Europe is a joke when you see the Airport and I know many foreign visitors are stunned at this dreadful Airport.
I would put it right at the top of the list of the worst Airports we have visited.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 10:03:32 AM »
I used to catch the early Amsterdam or Paris flight from Aberdeen en route to Istanbul and found Aberdeen to OK.  Check in online, dump bag at bag drop, wander through security and and easy boarding was the order of the day.  If it was the CDG flight (5:30 or 5:55) then the coffee shop wasn't actually open but the guy would always do you a coffee and more than once just said "its on the house as the tills aren't working yet".

All easy peasy compared to Edinburgh.  Parking was a doddle there as well.

My only issue was the 217 speed cameras between Aberdeen and Dundee.

JF

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 10:29:21 AM »
We Have done the flight to Amsterdam many times, it is not a problem and cannot be compared to the package tours. Try a flight to Dalaman.  T.C. sub-contract with a Turkish Airline, so no online check-in, no booking seats, not even a word that there may be food onboard,   so no dumping bags.  Just waiting in a queue up to 2 hours just to get a seat together.
Also, if there is a conference on anywhere in Aberdeen, the Airport is mobbed and you cannot move anywhere and not much chance of getting a meal either.
Then if there is a flight delay, everyone is packed into the Airport like sardines, we know been there done that.   Phil has made many business flights from Aberdeen over 35 years and has always said it is the worst airport of all the ones he has visited.  His American colleagues were always amazed at how bad Aberdeen Airport is.
The private lounge is rubbish.  Just drinks a few bags of crisps and tiny prepacked cakes.

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 19:35:14 PM »
Never had a problem flying into Aberdeen, we have our own check in and lounge

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 20:13:29 PM »
Why would you need a lounge if you are flying in  :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 20:33:37 PM »
He need somewhere to meet his Fan Club   :) 

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 11:11:45 AM »
Agreed, have been to many airports far worse than some on that list - at least in my experience.
Leeds Bradford was our local airport when we lived in the UK and we always thought we were very lucky with it....the only problem was that it did tend to close at the first sign of fog in winter as it's on quite high ground.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf