Author Topic: Dalaman Airport is Number One!  (Read 7664 times)

Offline strange

• Newly Registered
Re: Dalaman Airport is Number One!
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 14:45:55 PM »
was there any explanation on how the scorings were calculated? For example, I've always found Luton ok, but I don't think I'd like a delay there.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 20:12:18 PM »
I think it must ask which airports the people surveyed really hate. Which is different from rating airports against each other. Luton is a good example - it's no Disneyland but it isn't worse than some regional airport in Rwanda surely  :D

I think people also rate things very differently to each other. For example, two airports we were warned were chaotic/expensive or something else nightmarish - Venice Marco Polo & Cancun - we found to be excellent.

Of course, I put much of that down to having used Dalaman seven squillion times.

Online marina

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2015, 21:18:39 PM »
I must admit I was surprised to see Leeds/Bradford on that list.  It's not brilliant but it's ok, I've been through far worse. 

On our trip out to New Zealand earlier this year we passed through several different major airports and found by far and away the worst was Hong Kong!  Queues for everything, nowhere to sit, not enough signs to direct you to your gate!  I'm surprised that isn't on this list! But then in contrast Dubai, which I'd heard real horror stories about, was fine.  We had no problems negotiating such a huge airport as it was well signed.  We were lucky mind you that we only had 2 and a half hours in transit on the way out and 4 hours on the way home which was just enough to find your next gate, stretch your legs, look round the shops and get a coffee etc.  I do know people who've had to stay there for about 18/19 hours between flights though and I may not have looked on it quite so favorably if that had been us  :o

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2015, 21:24:40 PM »
Yep and I guess more people surveyed had used Luton than Hong Kong. Which also makes Dalaman's no. 1 spot all the more remarkable :D

Offline Piscoe

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 09:14:24 AM »
Worse airport ever bar none!! Rio de Janeiro !!

* Queue for 35 mins to get into terminal after landing.
* Cannot transfer baggage on to final destination.
* Queue 1 hr 20 mins for immigration. must have been 20 booths manned by 4 officers.
* Queue another 30 mins for health screening. My flight was from Peru and coming from another South American country you must prove you have had certain jabs.
* Made to pay $50 for a yellow fever jab as I couldn't categorically  prove my was in date.
* Queued for 20 mins for check in to onward flight after finding baggage in a hall 200 yards away.
* Told I would have to come back to check in after I have paid airport tax.
* Queued 20 mins to pay airport tax. Cash only in US dollars. Lucky I had some.
* Endured lots of crossed looks as I pushed my way to the front of the check in the vain hope I might actually catch my flight.
* Queue 30 mins to get through security, missed flight.
* Searched for someone who may be able to help me that either speaks English or Spanish. Eventually someone manages to get me on to another flight without boarding pass (it wouldn't happen these days I might add, this was 1997)
* Eventually arrived in beautiful Curitiba, checked in hotel, unpacked to find all valuable stolen out of my case.
* Started to feel effects of yellow fever jab, went to bed feeling ill for the next 24 hours.

If anyone has had a worse experience than that then you have my sincerest sympathy. Oh by the way, it was the middle of summer in Brasil and Rio airport had no air conditioning.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 09:35:29 AM »
Off subject a little, but always best to check on what jabs you need for destination and  get them from your Doctor for free then take the vaccination card the Nurse will give you, with you when you travel.
Even going to Turkey you should get jabs.  They are not compulsory, but if you become ill in Turkey  with any of the illnesses that you should have had vaccinations for, your insurance company will not pay out for any treatment.

Offline sadler

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2015, 10:46:30 AM »
That's an interesting point Jacqui, which I was totally unaware of. Which vaccinations are they?   :)

Offline scorcher

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2015, 12:45:32 PM »
An anti-RSI vaccination would be very welcome.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2015, 14:16:26 PM »
It is Hep and Tetanus as I recall, Frances.  The Doctor's Surgery will advise you.   I remember a few years ago there was a piece in the National Newspapers that Travel Insurance Companies had made this ruling that if you don't have the vaccinations advised for the country you are visiting, they will not pay out if you get something when on holiday that you should have had a jab for. 
There was a right rush to the Doctor''s Surgeries.  At the time, the nurse told  us she had updated her jabs as she had a place in Icmeler, she also told us the nurses had been rushed off their feet with holiday jabs.
The nurse gives you a card with the injections you have had and the dates.  We always keep ours with the passports. 

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 09:50:53 AM »
Interesting that you say you get them for free, Jacqui. We always had to pay for jabs we had in the UK, whether compulsory or elective. :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf