Author Topic: Knock Ireland West Airport flying to Izmir  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Daffodil

• Newly Registered
Knock Ireland West Airport flying to Izmir
« on: September 02, 2015, 15:40:00 PM »
If anyone in rainy Ireland is looking for a break in Turkey, Sunway are advertising holidays flying from Knock between September 12th and October 24th for 390 euros. The Turkish airport is Izmir I believe.
Knock is a tiny airport which only exists because the local population pulled out all the stops to have it built. There are only two gates and it is used mainly by people flying to and fro between Ireland and mainland Britain. There is a 10euro service charge for adults(not children) to fly out of the airport which helps cover the cost of keeping the runways up and running but it is better than driving for two or three hours to Dublin airport.
I wish Sunway luck with this gamble.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Knock Ireland West Airport flying to Izmir
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 15:44:52 PM »
Knock Airport was built because of all the pilgrims that go to the Shrine there. 

Offline Daffodil

• Newly Registered
Re: Knock Ireland West Airport flying to Izmir
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 17:07:25 PM »
Monsignor James Horan was a Catholic priest who invited the Pope to Knock in 1979. The Monsignor was the spearhead in raising the funds to build the airport in foggy,boggy Mayo and it opened in 1985 with 3 flights by Aer Lingus to Rome. He died in 1986.
The present airport flies to a few destinations,Poland and a couple of others beside the UK. Center Parc are opening a new holiday village nearby in 2018-19 at Longford Forest, similar to the one at Woburn in Bedfordshire. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf