Author Topic: Sun Express Turkish Airline.  (Read 3976 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Sun Express Turkish Airline.
« on: September 04, 2015, 10:39:24 AM »
We flew Sun Express last night.   It was a T.C. Flight Sub-contracted to Sun Express.  Never flown with them before.   I thought I would give them a review.
Arrived at Aberdeen Airport.  3 hours before the flight was due to leave.  As usual huge queues as you cannot pre-book anything when T.C. sub-contract.   Queue was in two parts and being controlled by
Airport Staff so as not to block the main entrance.   After 30 minute in queue family of four in front were joined by the Father who seemed to be seeing them off.   He then went to the front of the queue and started speaking to the check-in staff.  Next thing he came up to the family and told them he had got them extra-legroom seats and needed their passports, to book the seats, but they would still have to wait in the queue to check-in.   He then went back and held up the queue again by pushing in front.  He came back truimphantly with the ticket and handed them over.  I was amazed that an Airline would do this!!  Sun Express do not charge for extra-legroom seats.  After another 30 minutes we got to the check-in. So 1 hour's wait.  Of course, all the leg room seats had gone as the girl explained they only have 6 on these flights.  No one weighed the hand luggage and we noted one of the family in front of us had two pieces.
The interior of the plane was old but clean, no T.V.'s but a bit more leg room than T.C.  We sat in seats in row 12.  Flight attendants came around with drinks.  At row 11 no Vodka no Cider ( I watched the woman asking and the girl had never heard of cider)  They had gin but no tonic.   By row 13 there was no beer, they kept offering wine.  So, the drinks situation was bad and a lot of people were complaining.  No food either, just crisps and some biscuits. (Luckily we had thought this would be the case and we ate at the Airport.  £24.00 for two chicken burgers and two coffees).
The flight attendants came around twice with drinks and also twice flogging booze and cigarettes. Apart from that it they dimmed the lights and let everyone sleep.
I would say this Airline is not as good as Monarch, Free Bird or Pegasus.
I might add we paid £748.00 for pleasure of booking these return flights.   >:(

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
Re: Sun Express Turkish Airline.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 13:49:36 PM »
Sounds horrendous Jaquie. Now that you are both retired why don't you fly from Manchester. You could get a private return transfer to Manchester, or drive and stay over in a nearby hotel and leave your car on their car park. If you book on the first day Easyjet release their flights for the time you want to go you would probably pay about £150 each return. You'd still have plenty change out of £748. Just a thought.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 18:54:56 PM »
One reason why I haven't been on a charter flight for years

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Sun Express Turkish Airline.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 19:28:47 PM »
I've been saying that to Jacqui for years Chris. We save up to £800 as a family of four flying from Manchester or Newcastle. Good wages for a few extra hours driving each way.

But we've made it more than a saving and a drive - our holiday starts a day early, we find a nice place to stop for lunch, a nice hotel in the Lakes or just a relaxed evening and meal at a hotel close to the airport and go to the airport relaxed and from close by.

I thoroughly recommend it    :)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 20:02:48 PM »
Jacqui would have another hour and a half driving each way from Aberdeen though and at nearly six hours that's a fair old drive.

And we would be another 30 minutes on top of that.

Personally, I would find that a quite stressful start to my holiday.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 20:06:08 PM »
I can get to the border on the west side in 2 hours so that's 3.5 from Aberdeen to Cumbria. Coffee stop half way, lunch in the lakes and overnight stay, breakfast and slow meander for the rest of the journey.

Stressful?

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 20:23:15 PM »
You have only experienced my driving for a short distance though.

Mrs H finds it very, very stressful.   :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 20:28:48 PM »
That is true - I do remember that green traffic light (the one you stopped at) :D

Offline Lotty

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 20:31:14 PM »
We would definitely do it Keith's way, we try to make every stage  of the journey a nice part of the holiday even if we do a hop via Istanbul. What's not to choose - much less expensive fights leaving more cash in the pot, a leisurely drive, nice restaurant and comfy stay over. The nightmare of your Aberdeen airport experiences that you've had would seal the deal for us Jacqui.    :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 20:59:48 PM »
I know Keth has said it to us for years, but Phil only retired last year and would not have had time to go to Manchester.  it is a long drive, so petrol and then the car to put somewhere for a month, it would still be expensive. We may look into it next year as we have friends in Liverpool who said we could come anytime.
Also, we are not in Aberdeen, and it usually  take us about 45 minutes to clear Aberdeen.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf