Author Topic: No excuse for high flight prices!  (Read 5797 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
No excuse for high flight prices!
« on: January 21, 2016, 09:50:16 AM »
In an effort to shore up its tourist industry, Turkey is offering flight subsidies of $6,000 per flight to airlines flying into Antalya, Alanya, Dalaman, Bodrum and Izmir during April and May this year.  Now, if we are to believe the airlines when they moan about how little profit they make from each passenger, this is a right old earner for them - on the basis of circa 200 bodies per flight that's $30 a head.  Although, as its April & May which traditionally has lower passenger numbers per flight it could be even more, per head.

Will this bit of free bunce be passed on their customers?  More chance of little reginald joining me for a pint and a fag down my local I reckon...

JF

Offline BernieTeyze

Re: No excuse for high flight prices!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 11:06:39 AM »
I did find that if you look on Love Holidays, you can get a package deal as cheap or even cheaper than a flight. :o

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 00:17:01 AM »
Prices are dropping. We booked a few weeks back and they are about £75 cheaper now.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 01:03:08 AM »
With who Stoop?

Offline micky mouse

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 13:43:08 PM »
Just booked today both nice day flights for 6 weeks £103.00.return with no bags just hand luggage with monarch from gatwick could not beleave the price unreal,2nd may to 12th june.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 16:35:28 PM »
Now I know there is some short stopovers in Istanbul, but just booked Mrs Tickets on Dalaman to Gatwick flight , returning Gatwick to Antalya in the Feb/Mar period, for only £134.  As they are scheduled flights Mrs Tickets will also enjoy in the price, drinks, meals, seat reservation, excellent hand luggage and 20kg of hold luggage.  Nice flight times too.  And yes we wanted to fly back in to Antalya.  So we think it is always worth checking Turkish Airlines, even during the summer months when flights are generally in an abundance.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 18:17:33 PM »
So we think it is always worth checking Turkish Airlines, even during the summer months when flights are generally in an abundance.

As do I.  The THY flight from Edinburgh is a fantastic route for me - had to do the transit in AMS (or CDG if nothing else available) for years, often paying exorbitant fares for short notice bookings.  If you don’t mind changing in IST it is often cheaper to book through to Dalaman than using a charter - OK, transiting is a pain, but if you're saving a good couple of hundred quid (or more depending on no of folk) it does make it slightly easier...

JF

Offline DianaJ

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 19:10:04 PM »
For last few years we have done the Dublin - Istanbul - Dalaman route as you say bit of a pain but when 4 of us we Defo save money and with food drink and in flight entertainment included it makes the long queue at passport control almost bearable or maybe that's due to one too many wines

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 21:00:54 PM »
UBT are your Gatwick to Antalya flights with Turkish airlines and is that a direct flight please?
Im trying to book for March but want a direct flight no stopping off at Istanbul thank you   :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 21:36:59 PM »
I have found a number of the charter flights are way cheaper to Antalya than Dalaman too this year. Good for Antalya as they will struggle hugely with the loss of Russians - but obviously that wouldn't explain why the UK charters are cheap?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf