Author Topic: Our Week in Calis  (Read 5311 times)

Offline swindsor

Our Week in Calis
« on: June 16, 2016, 12:42:16 PM »
We (me & my hubby) landed in the early hours of Sunday the 5th June 2016 and got through the airport really quickly.   We were met with a driver from Fethiye Airport Transfers who immediately took my case and took us to our car.  It was a lovely Mercedes people carrier and we were given a bottle of water each.  We had a steady journey to Calis and we so appreciated this because there have been times, not with Fethiye Airport Transfers, when we have been so glad to get out of the car!

We arrived at Rosary Beach Hotel in Calis and checked in.  We had already been to the hotel before for a sneaky look when we were in Calis last year so we knew what to expect.  We got to our room and were thrilled with the view – a lovely sea view.  At this point, we were already kicking ourselves for only booking a week and not ten days.

Sunday evening we had a walk to the Grapefruit Restaurant.  We ate upstairs and had a lovely view.  We ordered a lamb shish kebab, a chicken shish kebab and a large portion of chips (which came before the kebabs, but which was nice because we were hungry) and four glasses of red wine.  We had garlic bread and two dips on the house before the meal.  Cost: 86 lira.

While we were at the Grapefruit someone started playing the guitar and singing downstairs and we really enjoyed it.  Not the best voice in the world but nice all the same and it was just the right volume – not too loud where you can’t speak to each other.  The music played may well have been taken from our own easy-listening playlist: Bob Dylan, John Denver, Carpenters, Billy Joel, Eagles, Beatles....  Not everyone’s choice but it suited us.  We decided to stay for a while and have another drink downstairs.  It was a bit of a shame there were only a handful of people in and only us and another family eating upstairs but we will definitely visit again.

Monday evening we tried the Rosemary Restaurant.  We ordered chicken fracassee and chicken emmense(?)  and two glasses of white wine.  We had free puffy bread with dips. Cost: 76 lira.    The food was lovely, spoiled only by a couple on a nearby table smoking, so we didn’t stay for more drinks. 

Tuesday evening we went to Cafe Soul – another place we haven’t tried before.  We were really impressed.   Free puffy bread and two dips whilst waiting for our pepper steaks, which were beautiful.  We had two beers and the cost was 119 lira.

Wednesday we went on Jerry Boat.  We got picked up at 9.15 a.m. from the hotel and taken to Fethiye.  We had a fantastic day fishing, swimming, relaxing and had a beautiful lunch and chocolate cake.  All this with the transfer back to the hotel for £15!  We didn’t take our transfer back to Calis because we stayed in Fethiye (we did let them know) to stock up on D & P Perfume but this trip was the best boat trip we have been on, and we have been on a few! 

Whilst in Fethiye we each had a beer in the Paspatur and made our way back to Calis on the dolmus.  By the time we got back to Calis we were shattered after all that sea air so had a beer in Ali’s,  bought a bottle of wine from the supermarket and just chilled on our balcony and had an early night.

On Thursday evening we went to one of our old time favourites – Gunisik.  We had free garlic bread and both ordered lamb chops which came with chips and salad.  With a beer each this cost 80 lira and it was beautiful food. 

On Friday evening we tried Bella Mamma’s.  We haven’t been in here for a few years so this visit was a bit overdue.  I ordered pepper chicken with roast potatoes and salad and Neil ordered shrimp penne pasta.  We each had a beer and the cost was 76 lira.  We were really impressed with the food here. 

Saturday evening was our last night and we decided to go back to Gunisik.  We ordered cowboy steak and pepper steak (I do love pepper sauce!) and, again, although the sauce was different to any pepper sauce I have had before, it was very nice.  With a beer each this was 90 lira.

I didn’t realise at the time, but having typed this I can see that throughout this holiday I haven’t altered my choices much when ordering in a restaurant!  Usually, I like to try a variety but not this time, it seems. 

We headed back to our hotel and had a beer at the Rosary Beach Cafe & Bar while we waited for our transfer, which arrived ten minutes early but we would sooner them arrive early than late.   Again, a steady drive back to the airport in a Mercedes people carrier and a bottle of water each.

I have only mentioned our evenings because, to be perfectly honest, we didn’t really do much apart from lay on the beach or by the pool, but that is all we planned on doing anyway.  We did have lunches in Bamboo and Merhaba which were both nice.  Our favourite end of the prom is the Oben’s end and we enjoyed evening drinks at Villa Berk (opposite Oben’s) sat on the sofas at the front watching the world go by.

We were disappointed not to find the Bedestan Ocabasi near the Guitar Bar.  We went during the day to try to find it as we fancied a meal there.  I had seen this on the forum and it was highly recommended and the food looked delicious on the photos.  So, unless we were looking in the wrong place, it seems it may have closed down?

We did think that it was quieter than this time last year.   Most of the people we spoke to this time had been to Turkey at least once before and we don’t recall speaking to anyone who was visiting for the first time, which is not good news.  Really hope all the businesses survive this year and that things improve.

We had a fabulous holiday and apart from Gunisik and Bella Mamma’s all the restaurants we tried were new to us and it’s only from CBF and everyone’s contributions that we know to try these places.    Although we have known about Jerry Boat for years, this is the first time we have been on it, and if it wasn’t for the forum then we still wouldn’t know.  So thank you to everyone on CBF who has helped make this and all our trips to Calis as enjoyable as possible   :)

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Our Week in Calis
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 13:29:29 PM »
Great review.  Sounds just like our holidays.  Lazy days, plenty of relaxation time and good food at night

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 13:52:10 PM »
The Bedenstan has been taken over by someone new now.  We were disappointed too.
We have been here a month now and the time has flown.  I used to think a week was not enough.  Now I thnk a month is not enough.
Agree about Bella Mamas great food.

Offline bells

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 15:25:07 PM »
Great review loved reading it. We have been to all the restaurants mentioned and always had good meals.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 15:33:25 PM »

Thanks swindsor, i'm starving now. Thanks for taking the time.        :)

Offline Lotty

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 17:46:01 PM »
Great review, and perfect tribute to CBF. The perfect relaxing holiday, it makes me long to be there! Thank you swindsor!  8)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 20:07:50 PM »
We are coming again September Lotty remember you are welcome to come and stay.
Just in the Airport Lounge now waiting to come home.  .

Offline Lotty

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 22:58:48 PM »
Thank you Jacqui. Hope you're having a good flight. Safe journey home, you have the lovely summer at home ahead. (hopefully) It's not too good here right now but it will improve!  xx 8)

Offline sunlover

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 07:56:11 AM »
Great review, nice to hear what others think of restaurants, and good you put prices as lots ask what things cost.

I think by the sound of it you need longer next time, as by the sound of it you will be back, as most of us that have been to Calis are.

It is such a shame its so quiet there for the local business,s people dont know what they are missing out on

Offline swindsor

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 11:53:25 AM »
Yes sunlover, we'll be back.... in four weeks time!  For the past six years, we have rented a lovely villa in Koca Calis for a fortnight the last week in July/first week in August 8) We are so looking forward to it!   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf