Author Topic: Is your luggage insured?  (Read 10796 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Is your luggage insured?
« on: July 09, 2016, 14:13:19 PM »
Reading today on the net that someone had their bag taken from an overhead locker on an Easyjet flight from Turkey,  that landed in the U.K.  When the aircrew were informed, they made the person wait until everyone had left the plane.
The bag was not recovered.  However, the Travel Insurance was with Tesco and they told the person that they (Tesco) do not insurance hand luggage only hold luggage.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Is your luggage insured?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 14:32:47 PM »
Nonsense.  Tesco Bank travel insurance makes no differentiation between hold and hand luggage, except in the case of valuables which are not covered if checked in with hold luggage.

JF

Offline marina

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 14:41:00 PM »
I've no experience of using Tesco insurance but have never heard of anything like that before with any other insurers we have used.  You are more likely to have valuables etc in hand luggage so you can keep them nearby rather than going in the hold.  In fact, I think some insurers will actually tell you to do this. 

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 15:29:56 PM »
Nonsense.  Tesco Bank travel insurance makes no differentiation between hold and hand luggage, except in the case of valuables which are not covered if checked in with hold luggage.

JF

O.K.  J.F.  This is the posting on T.A.  Best you get in touch and tell them that this is nonsense, because they don't seem to realise that.....

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298033-i793-k9672341-Check_your_insurance_cover_for_hand_luggage-Marmaris_Mugla_Province_Turkish_Aegean_Coast.html

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 15:47:47 PM »
Here's a link to Tesco Bank travel insurance "small print", you can tell them...

Tesco Policy Docs

I've no experience of using Tesco insurance but have never heard of anything like that before with any other insurers we have used.

No, and it's unlikely you will - however, I'm sure there is some insurance company, somewhere, that doesn't insure hand luggage (a.k.a. personal possessions!).

JF

Offline marina

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 15:59:59 PM »
I've no doubt there will be John, those nice insurance companies will worm their way out of any claim if they can as we found out to our cost a few years ago in Spain, when we had a hire car broken into. We lost a lot of things including OH's camera bag with a couple of good cameras and equipment in plus presents we bought and, despite them being locked away in the boot out of sight had a hell of a job to get anything back from the insurers. Can't remember the exact details now but I have learnt a lesson from that and do try and check any insurance policies that they cover for what we need. 

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 16:08:38 PM »
I checked mine and I am covered. Also I am covered for quad biking and spear fishing. But not cover for coming down a mountain on a luge.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 16:26:37 PM »
J.F.  I am merely trying to help by reporting something I read on T.A.  I am not personally involved.  However, I am sure, as Marina says, the insurance company have got out of it some way.
Perhaps it is best we all check our Travel Insurance to see what we are covered for.
However, this has taught me a lesson...no more trying to help..

Offline Ally B

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 21:25:09 PM »
John f  Why do you have to say" nonsense" can you not just put your point of view without being nasty. thought we got rid of Des.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 22:15:26 PM »
Because it is nonsense - and if you think that's me being nasty, you really don't know me.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf