Author Topic: Istanbul  (Read 5838 times)

Offline tonye1960

Istanbul
« on: November 23, 2016, 12:39:16 PM »
My wife is 50 next year, and as a surprise I am thinking of taking her to Istanbul. Just after some advice.
Have seen a good hotel, and I'm now wondering whether to do 7 or 10 nights? Is 10nights too long or could it
be a good idea to have a couple of chill days, and secondly is there anywhere to chill in such a vibrant city?
Any advice would be appreciated.
thanks
Tony

Offline Stopfordian

• Certified incomprehensible
Re: Istanbul
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 16:27:56 PM »

It,s an amazing buzz of a place but you can do everything you want in 7 days really. Very easy to get around the old city. If you like people watching the sultanahmet square is a great place to sit around and chill.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 18:40:54 PM »
There's certainly a lot to see but much of it is in the small Sultanahmet area - Aya Sofya, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, the Yerebatan Cistern - and tram links you to the funicular going to Galata Tower and the bottom end of the Istiklal. A walk along from the same tram stop takes you to Dolmabache Palace (where Ataturk died). So there's lot close by. I have spent hours absorbed in the wonder of Aya Sofya but if you want a chill out it is a short walk from there to the peaceful Gulhane Park where you can walk down to the cliffs over the junction between the Bosforus and the Sea of Marmara and watch scores of large ships in transit.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 22:21:03 PM »
We stayed for 5 days and still had things we wanted to see, good excuse to return.  Loved Istanbul.  My favour place was Topkapi Palace, we stayed very near there, so walking distance.  There is a lovely park next to it which our hotel overlooked.  We watched parrots nesting in the bottom half of the trees and Storks in the very top of the trees.
Blue Mosque was very impressive, but the smell of feet was overpowering.  Did not like the Grand Bazzar, but glad we visited. Too busy, too pushy and very expensive.   The smaller bazzar near the boat trips was much better and there was a big outdoor market all around it.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 22:48:30 PM »
Have seen a good hotel, and I'm now wondering whether to do 7 or 10 nights?

I reckon seven nights would be enough for a first visit.  The 'Bul can be a wee bit marmite to some folks, so go for seven and you can always come back if you both really enjoy it.

Its easy to try and see too much in one day so pace yourself. 

You could spend a full day kicking around Sultanahmet, Blue Mosque,  Hagia Sophia etc.   

Another full day taking the tourist boat up the Boz and eating fish at Rumeli Kavağı.

Istiklal, Taksim and Galata takes another day.

Grand bazaar, Egyptian (spice) market and Eminönü chalks off another day.

Dolmabahçe Palace, Istanbul Modern Art Museum and Beşiktaş area is a day, easy.

Colwyns comment about Gulhane park is a good'un - easy walk from Sultanahmet and some nice cafes about there.  North Shields pub next to the tram stop for refreshment as well   :)  expensive but top quality.  There's also Princes Islands - Büyükada is a good day out, get the ferry from Eminönü.

Getting about is easy (albeit a bit busy and cramped at times!) with an IstanbulKart that covers trams, busses and metro - taxis are also dirt cheap compared to Fethiye.

Hope that helps.

JF

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 23:15:11 PM »
If you're Agatha Christie fans, afternoon tea at the Pera Palace Hotel, located within easy walking distance from Taksim Square and and Istiklal Avenue is a must. It's where she's alleged to have written Murder On The Orient Express and they have a room dedicated to her.

You get some fantastic panoramic views of the city from the balcony that runs all the way around the outside at the top of the Galata Tower. Definitely not recommended for sufferers of vertigo though.

Offline philrose

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 05:00:31 AM »
Also it's worth mentioning you can get really good hotel deals at the moment. Unsurprisingly prices are down by 50% or more compared to last year...

Offline tonye1960

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 07:28:16 AM »
Thanks everyone for your replies. The deal I'm looking at so far is flights and hotel for 7 days for both of us, is about £700 , 4star hotel in september. Think thats a great price, and hotel is in Sultanahmet, so good location. Any views?

Offline Stopfordian

• Certified incomprehensible
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 09:42:17 AM »

That is a pretty good deal, and within a stones throws of everything ( it's not the Ferman hotel by any chance? ). Anyway I'm sure you will enjoy it and want to revisit.
   Enjoy,

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 10:23:42 AM »
This is were we stayed. http://sirkecimansion.com    A fabulous place, rooftop restauarant and sunbeds, lovely room with balcony overloooking the park.  A pool and spa in the basement.  Wonderful staff, even had a desk with a lady to give tourist help.    Free afternoon tea. If you book for 3 days or more, they will pick you up at the airport, give you a free dinner and 10% off the bill if you pay in cash.   We would definitely go back to this Hotel.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf