Author Topic: TV in turkey  (Read 4268 times)

Offline young at heart

• Orpington, UK
TV in turkey
« on: August 27, 2005, 22:01:11 PM »
I purchased a tv and after two days it would not work,  it was replaced and again after two days it would not work.  We only have it to play dvd's.  First we were told that it must be the electricity in our apartment block but I pointed out that our pool man uses his tv all day (while finishing off the apartment below us).  It was a turkish make.  Anyone had any trouble and would it make a difference if the tv was a british make.  Thanks

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
TV in turkey
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 08:02:32 AM »
The problem is either with your satelite signal ( presume you have one ) or with your TV tuner, it's less likely to be the tuner as you seem to have tuned into the DVD frequency without any problem. Take no notice of the excuse you have been given regarding the electricity.

Offline teresa321

TV in turkey
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 08:16:15 AM »
We bought a cheap portable TV from Migros and we have had no problem with it other than the back scart socket being a bit wobbly.  It was a cheapie so I am not unhappy but I don't think it would have been like that here and for the money still could have got a better one in the UK. DVD player and all other electricals have been fine though.

I have not researched the bigger ones yet and we will want a larger screen when we move over for good next year and I have not decided yet whether to bring one from the UK.

When you say it would not work do you mean loss of signal or dead?

Teresa

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
TV in turkey
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 12:21:07 PM »
Teresa
We bough a large tv from Erin Spot, not had any problems at all.
Think we paid around £170. Hope this helps.
Anne

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
TV in turkey
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 12:30:14 PM »
If you bring a TV from the UK you'll have to pay tax on it !

Offline teresa321

TV in turkey
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 12:58:36 PM »
Are TV's different to everything else?  Other electrical stuff we have brought over has gone through ok and the TV will go in the big suitcase. I have read of people bringing over laptops on moving over so I can't really see why a tv is different but I am always ready for new information.

Teresa

Offline valentine

• Prolific Member
TV in turkey
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 13:43:35 PM »

Teresa,
It might be a big risk putting a tv in a suitcase the way they are thrown about (or lost!). We bought a large TV from Eren Spot, I think its a panasonic, it wasn't cheap but its brill. We also got a 3 year guarantee with it, if you bring a tv from the UK the guarantee is useless.

Val x

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
TV in turkey
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 14:36:29 PM »
we also got a telly from erin spot and touch wood have had no problems

Offline teresa321

TV in turkey
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 14:41:43 PM »
Hi Val

I have been considering the options and although it would be in the suitcase it will be in the original packaging, it weighs 11kg in the packaging.  I was happy to bring it through as it is and take my chances, but I didn't think there was a problem with taxes and nothing else has been hit although we could have just been lucky.

I will look at similar models in October in Turkey and decide, the TV will be almost through the guarantee period by the time we move. It is only a possibility at the moment and we have brought over some stuff I must say.  If it is too much of a problem then we will have to ditch it along with all our other worldly goods.

This is a link with prices for Beko goods
http://www.beko.com.tr/en/urunler/elektronik.php?c_id=2

My leaded stained glass window is going in the big suitcase (and it is big) next trip and that will probably be the whole 20kg gone. We then put suitcases inside suitcases for the return trip and then fill them up again.

At least after the next trip we have a 6 month gap and an enforced rest.

Teresa X
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 14:45:25 PM by teresa321 »

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
TV in turkey
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 16:05:19 PM »
Young at heart, do you have Digiturk? if so this depends how you have connected the scarts to the back, also could be that if you have the DVD on standby this could cause a problem.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf