Author Topic: Plastic  (Read 2616 times)

Offline Daffodil2017

• Newly Registered
Plastic
« on: January 14, 2018, 12:20:41 PM »
I wonder how many plastic bottles of water I get through a year especially when the temperature hits high !

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Plastic
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 12:54:55 PM »
Are these yours?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 17:20:20 PM »
I've just left a company that's installing machinery that will enable them to produce a further 25,000 plastic bottles an hour.

Offline Daffodil2017

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 07:19:24 AM »
Wow,that is a scary when you consider that they all have to end up in the bin! I  am trying to use less plastic but it is pretty difficult because everything you buy has a plastic wrapper,

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 18:44:05 PM »
Help may be on the way Daffodil. Iceland supermarket and McDonald junk food are promising to go plastic-free. With luck others will be shamed into making the right steps.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 20:31:14 PM »
You can do a little yourself - even in the supermarket.

Buy glass bottles where possible. Buy your fruit and veg loose and after initially using their little plastic bags take them back next time you shop.

We use the scan as you shop and once weighed and scanned the fruit and veg can just be popped in our reusable bags.

Hopefully the supermarkets will now introduce plastic free products on a larger scale.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 00:57:47 AM »
I was also concerned about how much water I was buying here in Turkey. I find the tap water very unpleasant.

So having seen friends using a water filter, we had one installed under the sink and I no longer buy water other than in the 19 litre dispenser bottles. I will, however be refilling one of those this summer with my filtered water and placing it back on the dispenser.

Offline Daffodil2017

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 00:42:44 AM »
I am glad that the supermarkets are making an effort to reduce plastic containers.I have started to buy bars of soap instead of plastic bottles of shower gel and bought a bottle with a filter in the lid for drinking water.I already have a filtration unit under the sink.It is very difficult to buy toiletries without loading up on plastic though.
It amazes me the amount of packaging you find on the smallest item,even something as small as some sewing needles.
I would be grateful for any ideas on how to stop using plastic.I think that every individual effort counts.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf