Author Topic: Hattusa: Hittite Capital  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Hattusa: Hittite Capital
« on: January 21, 2018, 11:17:06 AM »
Has anyone been to this place? It lies 125 miles east of Ankara and was the capital of the Hittite Empire some 3,500 years ago (scholars argue over whether they are same people as the Hittites mentioned in the Bible).. I recall seeing a TV documentary about it some years ago where it was portrayed as a military civilization similar to Sparta: austere and hard, only occasionally sallying forth from its mountain stronghold to overrun surrounding lands. At the height of its power it confronted the armies of the mighty Pharaoh Rameses II which, it seems, fought each other to a draw at the Battle of Kadesh (c.1274 BC). Both the Egyptian and Hittite Empires declined after this in the face of the rise of the Assyrians as the regional power. Very little was known about the Hittites until the 20th century when extensive excavations were undertaken at Hattusa showing it was the centre of a powerful empire long before the Selcuks and Ottomans came to Anatolia.

Two photographs highlight why I think the Hittites are interesting. First a lion statue showing an artistic side to the Hittites.

The second photo shows one of the oldest peace treaties in the world, signed between Hattusili III and Rameses II - a copy of which is displayed at the United Nations - showing their diplomatic side.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:25:41 AM by Colwyn »

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Hattusa: Hittite Capital
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 14:55:33 PM »
If you search 'Hittites' on YouTube there are several videos available.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf