Author Topic: Thermal Spa  (Read 2962 times)

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Thermal Spa
« on: November 16, 2005, 09:29:33 AM »
Enjoyed a great experience this weekend........were taken on a barbecue by some Turkish friends and went to a thermal spa at Girmilar (NOT Gemiller) it is about 5km from Kemer. It is run as a commercial venture but sadly has been somewhat neglected lately.
Despite this it was wonderful...you go down some steep
steps into the mountain and then down two more flights of wooden steps...not easy access and the pool opens out in front of you,  only quite small room for about 5 people (unless you are very friendly!) It is very deep, at least 12 metres and then apparently goes on into more underground caves.  Thre are ropes above the pool to support you, but I would not reccommend it for non swimmers as the sides of the pool go straight down.  The water is about 37C....very warm and packed full of more minerals than you could shake a stick at.
After about an hour in the water I felt fantastic, both physically and mentally,quite at peace with the world, Which is what they claim for the water....but who knows if is all in the mind or not? This was followed by a wonderful nights undisturbed sleep still feeling good on waking.
There does not seem to be any public transport there but I suppose you could get a taxi from Kemer if you don't have a car.[^]
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 09:32:51 AM by tribalelder »

Offline SEVIYORUM

Thermal Spa
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 15:05:56 PM »
That really does sound amazing!  :)
I might have to give that a try! Is this place touristy, and also is it arranged? do people work there? or did you just happen to come across it?
Sorry about all the questions, im really interested! it sounds great. :D:D:P
Rach xx

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Thermal Spa
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 16:01:08 PM »
No it is definately not touristy it is a fairly remote small village 100% Turkish and at present the place is a little run down but that in no way detracts from the spa itself.  As I said we were taken there by Turkish friends, bought a live chicken from a house in the village "borrowed some herbs and peppers etc"...cooked in the spa's kitchen and, eat with bread, pancakes ricesoup made with the chicken stock,some salad and wine...the sort in coke bottles from uzumlu,. sat round a bonfire in the moonlight. Absolutely fabulous.
It is definately not on any of the organized trips in fact I dont think many Turkish people even know of it's existence. :)
The owner would appear to live there but does not speak any English.  My friend is well known there and the local mayor even came out to meet us whilst we were visiting.
This is the real Turkey...not what we usually see.

Offline rowanis

Thermal Spa
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 17:07:22 PM »
Is this the place on the way to Saklikent or another place?

Offline mary anne

Thermal Spa
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 20:24:56 PM »
This sounds wonderful as we are hiring a care over the xmas period I really would like to go there. Is it very remote and how far from the Fethiye area?  thanks Mary

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Thermal Spa
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 07:08:40 AM »
It is between Kemer and Saklikent but only about 5kms from Kemer....Did not take too much notice of time for the journey but I would guess just over half an hour or so From Fethiye. :)

Offline rowanis

Thermal Spa
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 13:14:14 PM »
I think it might be the same place I went to last year.  Is the water full of sulphur?  Do they have a small very run down pension there?  Just trying to get my bearings!

Offline SEVIYORUM

Thermal Spa
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 13:53:20 PM »
I was going to say if it was a tourist attraction that would have definatly put me off!! Like you say .. the real turkey, thats exactly what i love!! :D:D
I will have to visit this place!
Did you just turn up there and somebody took you down to show you, or did you find this out yourselves?  :)
Rach xx

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Thermal Spa
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 13:59:34 PM »
It sounds great.  Another one for my must do list  :)
Anne

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf