Author Topic: Quad biking  (Read 6253 times)

Offline davidzz

Quad biking
« on: March 08, 2006, 11:51:39 AM »
Last year My son and I went on Qaudbike safari from bottom end of hisaronu through kayakoy village and got to see some excellent places that you would never see on any other tour in fact at one stage we had to park up and proceed on foot to what was one of the most spectacular views I have ever seen.It included a stop at the beach for a dip before lunch.There was also an opportunity for the kids to do some off road on a dirt track and for us to be big kids as well.Of course had to get the the dvd and still watch it now.

Well worth it but do not get dressed up and probably suggest you wear something you may not want to wear again as I had threw my shorts and t-shirt in the bin. (full of dust)

David

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Quad biking
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 12:52:20 PM »
Unfortunately the tranquility of Kaya Koyu is being seriously eroded by the 50 to 60 quad bikes that tear through it every day during the season. They are causing a lot of damage to the old traditional pathways and are often being driven dangerously by the very people who are supposed to be responsible for their safety.

Luckily for us they don't come near our property, but I know there have been protests about them in the past and there will be more in the future. Most of the villagers hate them, whilst the businesses like the money that they spend in the local shops.

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
Quad biking
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 21:18:35 PM »
This is the problem.  Of course people go on holiday to do things like this - no blame on David for partaking in this - who can blame them - but then the problems start like you talk about KKOB. I am quite surprised that this sort of thing has been allowed in the area of KK - surely there is some sort of preservation order? Maybe you should get a petition going KKOB and get us all to sign it. Im sure most people would, and Im sure if DavidZZ knew how you felt and the other village residents,then he will keep the dvd as a happy memory and sign the petition too?! I know in my days Ive done things that Ive later looked back on and thought maybe wasnt so good for the local community - but hey, were only human and sunshine does funny things!.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
Quad biking
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 07:30:10 AM »
Although KK is a conservation area, there's no law to control any kind fo activities, except religious ones, taking place.

Apparently in the past there were are a number of residents in KK who protested and petitioned. They've had threats made against them and are considering other ways of stopping the quad bikes.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 07:32:58 AM by KKOB »

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
Quad biking
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 21:10:43 PM »
A Ib of 4" nails may do the trick.

Offline pegs

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 21:30:16 PM »
hey i went on quite a few quad bike rides last year, thoroughly enjoyed them, down through Kaya onto Gemiler bay; and i certainly don,t remember any of the locals giving any cause for concern or complaining. In fact most of them that i saw waved hello.
Yes i did hear that there were complaints and a big petition brought up a couple of years ago when Taner first started his business but since then others have started up, so poo to the petitions.
it,s a great day out and as they use the local businesses for lunches etc ..... what more can i say.
They guys don,t do any damage to the paths, it,s not like the trials bikes or land rovers on the green lanes in England.

Offline davidzz

Quad biking
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 21:35:36 PM »
The day We went there was only 4 bikes as well as the guide's and I got the the impression that it was not as popular but having said that it was in May. From your comments ,It is busier than I thought and that means more people being less careful about protecting the area.I would suggest instead of Quadbike(watch they might sue me here)
that a nice long 6 hour walk could be just as good :) :)  

Guilty as charged 8)

David
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 21:38:02 PM by davidzz »

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
Quad biking
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 06:55:19 AM »
If you want some company on a walk around the village, contact me.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
Quad biking
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 12:09:37 PM »
Pegs,

Next time you go on one of your many quad bike rides through Kaya Koyu, think about this:-

There are 3 or 4 mini-markets and a couple of restaurants that make money from the quad-bikes. The rest of the village hears and smells them going through the Kaya Valley.

When they go through the village, they often cause traffic hold-ups because they insist on driving in convoy. They have even tried to force motorists off of the road to allow them all to pass in one go.

Many of the holiday makers driving the bikes have never been on one before and find them difficult to control. They have little or no experience of driving on the right-hand side of the road. Indeed, many of them are too young to have had any road experience whatsoever.

The groups are supposed to have at least 3 instructors accompanying them. Most don't.

Last year there were 3 fatalities and one person was paralysed for 4 months following accidents in the area. There have been far too many near-misses to count.

Now, believe it or not, I'm not one of those that wants to ban the quad bikes from the village. In fact, I'd find one very useful and those of you on here that have visited our property will know why.

Offline grinrod

Quad biking
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 22:25:55 PM »
There should be designated places for this type of sport - not tearing through villages such as Kaya Koy. Especially in view of the accidents and near misses. Cant believe - 3 FATALITIES. That is outrageous. And would you be as quick to Poo a petition if it was going on near your own house with constant noise of 50 odd quads a day zooming past? I think not. Hire a bike like I do (pushbike). You can get down to Gemiler just as quickly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf