Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 4078 times)

Offline Firo

Dogs
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 15:19:07 PM »
Everything you need to know on this link and you need to work to plan B

http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/files/pb13582-bringing-pets-to-uk-111101.pdf
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 15:20:10 PM by Firo »

Offline goatman

Dogs
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 16:50:31 PM »
so, having read all links its seems that it is still up in the air about tapeworms before entering the Uk and we cannot drive our pets to the UK ourselves. They have to go with an approved carrier. Am i correct in that assumption.
Ps thats for tha answers as i have heard so many conflicting stories about the new regulations next year

Offline Firo

Dogs
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 21:50:16 PM »
Treat them for tapeworm and then you are covered as advised below.

quote from Defra....Tick and tapeworm treatment is still advised. It is best practice, and best for the health of you and your pet, to treat your pet for ticks and tapeworm before returning to the UK.

The only dogs that need to enter on approved routes are certain assistance dogs, so therefore as long as you have followed all the necessary requirements and have all the documents I can see no reason why you cannot drive your dogs through....

If you need more confirmation you would be better to contact Defra direct.
Email: pettravel@ahvla.gsi.gov.uk
Helpline: +44 (0)870 241 1710

Offline Eric

Dogs
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 22:03:12 PM »
Quote from DEFRA site (Turkey is an unlisted country)

What you need to do if you are travelling after the 31 December 2011

Dogs and cats resident in an unlisted country entering the UK direct or via an non-EU country

Under the new rules a pet from an unlisted country, whether directly or via a non-EU country, will  be allowed to enter the UK without quarantine as long as they meet the EU entry requirements:

be identified by a microchip
    be vaccinated against rabies
    have a blood sample taken by an authorised veterinarian at least 30 days after vaccination and three months before travelling to an EU country
    have a blood test result from an EU-approved laboratory showing that the rabies antibody titre was equal to or more than 0.5 IU/ml
    be accompanied by a certificate issued by an official veterinarian certifying compliance with the above requirements.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Dogs
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 23:26:16 PM »
From january 2012 tick treatment will not be required.Tapeworm, as Firo says, is still under discussion with the EU. If taking your dog from Turkey you need to follow what Eric has said. The thing that you need to ensure is that whoever does the rabies test is an EU approved lab.You have also got to have the necessary export documents for the dogs to leave Turkey. You cannot just pack them in the back of the car or turn up at the airport with them. Serkan, the vet, got all of the paperwork for us.

I am sure I read somewhere on CBF that someone was flying out to Antalya and are taking their pet. If that is the case it is likely that the airline will do the reverse journey and that wil enable you to get your pet back to the UK.If the airline does do the return trip then they should advise you of what you need. Transport crates have got to be approved as suitable for air travel.

I would still talk to Defra before you commence your journey and sort out about the tapeworm and where and who needs to administer the tablets. We did not need it to leave Turkey but when we were about to go to the UK we had the tablets administered by a French vet and it was noted in their passports.Seafrance did examine the passports closely to make sure they were completed properly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf