Author Topic: Charge him with Actual Bodily Harm  (Read 3561 times)

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
Re: Charge him with Actual Bodily Harm
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 18:00:10 PM »
Have a look at this, nearly as bad but the commentary is absolutely brilliant. ;D ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3K312eIyrg

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 21:10:29 PM »
my fella was disgusted at what he did
he as played rugby for years before he retired with a bad back

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 21:42:25 PM »
I have no knowledge of the incident you are discussing really.

What I would like to know, from the intelligent members of CBF, is this. What particular part of British law is it that excludes football pitches and rugby grounds (to name just two) from the laws of the land?

We often hear "Had he done that in his local High Street he would have been charged" - but seriously and specifically, what law prevents that?

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 21:51:07 PM »
Without necessarily passing the criteria for respondents, I don't know why the police at the ground did not take immediate action but presumably in due course the the "victim" would have to press charges.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 22:05:00 PM »
In Scotland there cannot be a law because Duncan Ferguson was charged after head butting a player (1994 - thanks to Google).

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 22:17:53 PM »
Google made him do it?

Offline Steve A

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 18:17:55 PM »
The only mitigation he would have in law is that of consent however that has been dealt with in the below case so he has not got a leg to stand on and should be prosecuted.The victim does not have to make a statement nor support the prosecution,there is ample evidence here to go with a victimless prosecution.

R v Billinghurst [1978] Crim LR 553

A rugby player punched another player during a match in an unprovoked attack. Whilst the defendant argued that punching was common place during rugby matches, it was outside the rules of the game and thus the victim could not be said to have consented to being punched.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 18:34:13 PM »
SteveA's post is a strong one and cites some case law. But "implied consent" is usually a factor in sporting cases. Boxing, for example, superficially would be appear totally illegal except that anyone getting into the ring is deemed to have consented to being punched by the opponent. In comparison with SteveA's case it could be said that punching is within the laws of boxing but I think some punches (e.g. after the ref has said "break", or "rabbit punching" the kidneys} are outside the rules but I don't remember anyone being taken to court for any of them. In football, several forms of tackle are ruled illegitimate but may not be illegal. Mostly however, I suspect that police and prosecutors are diffident about making interpretations about the legalities of contacts in what are clearly "contact sports" unless given firm guidance by the ruling bodies of those sports. Most sporting ruling bodies don't want to do that.

Offline Steve A

Offline Dennis Vint

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 16:09:30 PM »
Have a look at this, nearly as bad but the commentary is absolutely brilliant. ;D ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3K312eIyrg

Chris...I cawn't spake it's that diabolical!  I don't think the commentator would be successful if he applied for a job with Sky Sports!  He wasn't biased was he?
Seriously, the incident at the Grand Final was shocking and it brings our sport of Rugby League into disrepute.  That sort of brutal, thuggish behaviour against a defenceless player has no place in any sport.  In our part of the world we have played Rugby League in our younger days and now enjoy watching the modern game, but I was sickened when I saw what happened.  Although I support Leigh Centurions and have the usual banter with Wiganers, I felt sorry for the Wigan players, supporters and officials who were let down by such disgraceful behaviour from one player.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf