Author Topic: Vinn internet dongle  (Read 15514 times)

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
Vinn internet dongle
« on: November 02, 2014, 18:09:56 PM »
Saw one of these in Turkcell today.
126TL (£37)
10GB over 3 months 79TL (works out at £1.80 a week)
Do they work well is my question ?

Also do tablets take longer to charge out here ? (lower amperage ?)

Ta    :)

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
Re: Vinn internet dongle
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 18:36:19 PM »
Cant help you on the 126 TLY, don't know what that is, but I use the 10 GB 3 months for 79 lira, used it for over 4 years now, of course if you are watching stuff on you tube or playing games on facebook of course it will run out before, but you do get informed 24 hrs before it goes. by the way I have people on my complex regularly coming to me asking if they can use my internet as their landline is down. I have tried to tell them on several occasions to get a dongle and save the hassle of turks digging up the roads and been without internet for months. but everyone to their own as the saying goes. hope this helps.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 19:25:51 PM »
Kevin, I take it you mean a Mifi which produces a wifi network for you to connect a number of devices to at once rather than a dongle. If so I have used one for 2 years for each holiday. I plug it in when I arrive and add credit at the shop and it stays on all holiday. Far more versatile than a basic dongle and download speeds are ok too. Mine is this type;
http://www.turkcell.com.tr/cihazlar/vinn-ailesi/turkcell-vinn-wifi-e5221?place=device_category

Tablets will take just as long to charge over there as over here assuming you are using the same charger. Most tablets have a higher powered charger than a phone charger. If you use the lower powered charger it will take longer.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 19:47:07 PM »
Like Bewva I use one of these, think it is a brilliant piece of kit. Previously used a dongle which was pretty slow.that said, it will depend on how you want to use it streaming would eat up your gb very quickly.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 21:05:12 PM »
bought the dongle to use when we came out on holiday i found it very good

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 21:05:35 PM »
We got the Internet connection from the guy that Volcan uses.  He put a modem in the house and a box on the roof and we had a connection.   Brilliant.   It was around £70.00 to fit and 35 Lira per month.  When we are not there he turned it off, when we come back it goes on again. ;D

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 07:32:24 AM »
Kevin, I take it you mean a Mifi which produces a wifi network for you to connect a number of devices to at once rather than a dongle. If so I have used one for 2 years for each holiday. I plug it in when I arrive and add credit at the shop and it stays on all holiday. Far more versatile than a basic dongle and download speeds are ok too. Mine is this type;
http://www.turkcell.com.tr/cihazlar/vinn-ailesi/turkcell-vinn-wifi-e5221?place=device_category

Tablets will take just as long to charge over there as over here assuming you are using the same charger. Most tablets have a higher powered charger than a phone charger. If you use the lower powered charger it will take longer.

Thanks for that - sounds a lot better than the dongle (and the same price !)
I assume that it acts as a home hub such that we can link our laptop and tablets to it ?
Will pop into Turkcell today (fed up with no WiFi at home already - after 2 days - have to keep going to a bar !!!)

Offline Marggie

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 09:10:42 AM »
Think they are a bit more expensive now. Got on the Turkcell shop at  the Otogar,, it is cheaper than the rest.

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 12:11:41 PM »
Thanks Marggie, just been there.
125 unit, 39 SIM card, 79 for 10GB (3 months)
And he gave me a driving lesson in shop on my tablet   :)
Angela is talking of listening to Chris Evans on R2 in the mornings
I would imagine this would be GB thirsty ???  :(

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 12:20:29 PM »
Surprisingly listening to the radio is not that ,"thirsty" - unlike streaming video - I regularly listen to Talksport at weekends (on the same unit as you have purchased) and it doesn't seem to use that much and I always manage to make it last 3 months with lots of browsing as well !!

Ps Just checked it out and basically the BBC / Talksport radio options would be covered by this statement ( so maybe a "treat" :-)

If you stream an hours worth of internet per day for 30 days then you would have eaten up 1.7 Gigabytes of data

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf