Author Topic: Ladies do not walk alone  (Read 13145 times)

Offline julesbob0303

Ladies do not walk alone
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 16:15:59 PM »
I find these "attacks" really worrying.

I have three teenage daughters, who dawdle along behind us when we are over in Calis, often late in the evening (it's not very cool to be seen with parents, and they can then chat about things they'd rather we didn't hear!).  They often pop round the corner to the supermarket on their own.  The more often we visit, the more confident they are becoming with the area.  I'd hate them to read this thread, and realise that Calis may not be the nice place they think it is.  Of course, they are aware of dangers, but who expects some perv to jump out of bushes and "grope" you (or worse) when you are on holiday?

As has already been asked, if one of these blokes were to get beat up by an angry dad/husband/brother, what would happen to the dad/husband/brother?  Who's side would the law take?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 16:18:54 PM by julesbob0303 »

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Ladies do not walk alone
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 17:09:44 PM »
I agree with you Julie I am really worried after reading this topic. I am really glad that we have been made aware of it, but I dont think I am going to walk anywhere on my own this Summer not even in the daytime.
What also concerns me is,is it just British women they are targeting, do we give off the wrong impression by wearing shorts and vest tops etc.

Offline Janice1971

Ladies do not walk alone
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 18:23:01 PM »
Wrong impression?  when the bloke man a lunge at my boob I was dressed in shorts and a vest top and also had my baby in the pram, what am I supposed to do, go out in a boiler suit in 40 degrees I think not, lets not go down that route of thinking!

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Ladies do not walk alone
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 19:04:19 PM »
No I am not saying that at all, I know exactly how you would have felt as it happened to me at my complex in Calis in October last year, and took me until February this year to want to return to Turkey again ever.
All I was saying was do we hear of it happening to any Turkish women, I for one would not like it to be happening to us British women because we are foreighners in there country. No disrespect meant to you Janice at all.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Ladies do not walk alone
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 19:11:49 PM »
I think you also have to remember that many of the people drawn come to work in the area come from parts of Turkey that are totally different to Calis. Totally uncommercial and unwesternised, where the sight of a female leg could be very exciting indeed. Suddenly seeing some of the bikini clad sights walking past I enjoyed seeing out the office window would be too much for some of them I'm sure  ;)

I'm not trying to justify it all all, it can't be justified - but as Karennina points out, there is something about holidaymakers that they prefer...

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Ladies do not walk alone
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 19:17:59 PM »
And while I'm on dangerous ground, I can report that I have been told several times that British girls are considered "easy" by many of the barmen and waiters in town. True or otherwise, a village boy new in resort, possibly with little or no education, may misunderstand that message.

Offline julesbob0303

Ladies do not walk alone
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 19:35:11 PM »
I understand what you are saying Keith, but some of these women have been attacked whilst with their family members (babies and husbands!).  Surely a woman out walking with her husband, no matter what she's wearing, does not appear to be an easy catch - she is obviously taken!!  The same as a woman walking her child - she's hardly out looking for sex either, she has a baby to consider!!

I know things are much different in Turkey - the bloke who lives next door to our apartment appears to have a huge problem with my girls out sunbathing in their bikinis by the pool.  The rest of the family speak, but he obviously dislikes us (he speaks to the other families who dont have teenage daughters.)

This problem of women being attacked needs to be addressed with the local police.  Discussing what women are wearing and thereby making it look as if they deserve to be attacked doesn't make Calis look a very desirable holiday destination to first-timers (specially if they're reading this forum for information on the area).

Offline amanda bullock

Ladies do not walk alone
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 19:44:37 PM »
i agree,can someone have a word with the police please?Why wait for the inevitable to happen!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Ladies do not walk alone
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 19:51:56 PM »
Obviously not an easy catch Jules, there or in any country, which is why I feel that these individuals have a real misunderstanding of reality. Don't get me wrong but jumping out of reeds and asking for sex, or grabbing Janice's boob is not predatory behaviour, it's cowardly mixed up stupidity.

Like you, I know Turkish men who will look away if a woman in a bikini appears on a TV advert! These local pests are not typical. They need to learn that lesson and yes the police should be asked to address it. Maybe the bar and restaurant owners and workers could also help, it's them who will lose out if this sort of activity escalates.

Offline julesbob0303

Ladies do not walk alone
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 20:25:37 PM »
Just think this sort of "cowardly mixed up stupidity" must be so terrifying for the women involved.

Myself and my 16 year old daughter were jammed in a lane and cornered by a large van last year (late at night, very close to our apartment, hubby closeby in the supermarket).  Thankfully, neither of us were touched and we managed to get away - but we were scared stiff (me, in particular, as I felt the obvious need to protect my daughter).

I made the stupid mistake of not going to the police (the usual language barrier thing).  Unfortunately, I have had to learn my lesson the hard way.  I'll never stay in our gorgeous apartment on my own (just wouldn't feel safe without people around me) and I wouldn't even consider walking anywhere on my own in the evening.  It's a real shame - but, because of this thread, I am more concerned for my girls (and other unsuspecting females).  

British women on holiday (or living in the area) just don't deserve to be treated like this.  Tourist areas want (and need) the custom from foreign travellers, not this sort of publicity.  And, to be fair, the majority of Turkish people are fantastic - that's why so many of us want to buy in this beautiful country.

Let's just hope these low life scumbags are caught very soon, before any more serious harm is done.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf