Author Topic: What's the WORST wine you've ever tried?  (Read 2404 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
What's the WORST wine you've ever tried?
« on: June 03, 2018, 19:23:26 PM »
Kinda following on from the other topic...

Buying a bottle of wine can be a bit of a lottery - even the well known styles/grapes mean nothing until you actually try it.

I reckon one of our worst (and there are a few candidates from several countries) was in a restaurant in India.  Only two choices, locally made red or white.  Went for the red. 

Oh dear...  this was a bottle of red that made Cumartesi taste like Chateau LaFite.  Each mouthful was like chewing a block of factory made tannin.  Relatively speaking, it was an expensive bottle of wine.  Can't remember how much it was but the waiters eyes lit up when we ordered it.  It was brought to the table by the owner with great ceremony, opened and then promptly dumped on the table with a couple of tumblers.  I think he knew.

Had we simply been done over?  I don't think so, it was simply foul tasting wine that no amount of ageing would have done any good.  In fact, euthanasia would have been more appropriate.

A little bit of negotiation at bill time and the bottle went back to the bar, as did the two tumblers...  either the staff then necked it or he had a corking machine out the back and we HAD been done over.

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: What's the WORST wine you've ever tried?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 20:35:25 PM »
Back in 2005ish there was Evin, a shocking red at 2tl a bottle but there was also a white for the same price (about 80p at that time). I think it was also called Evin but maybe my brain was too scrambled...

It had a use though, not drain cleaner or similar, if you had a glass before having Doluca, Doluca actually tasted nice :D

The locals knew it as ‘Dog killer’

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 20:37:39 PM »
P.s. nearly as bad as the red and white in Frank Cannon’s. That is so bad we had to break our long held arrival night tradition and go to the Mangal for our late night kebap.

Offline marina

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 20:51:47 PM »
Because I prefer rose wine (white if I'm pushed, I'm not that fussy!) and OH drinks red we usually order by the glass.  Years ago, before there was much choice of rose, we had a meal at The Kerim.  I asked for a glass of dry white.  When it came it was actually bright yellow in colour!  I'll leave it to your imagination what it actually looked like, but it was absolutely dreadful!  One mouthful and that was it !  Couldn't drink any more  :o

We still regularly go to the Kerim for coffee or drinks (spirits) when we're in Calis but never risked the wine again!   ;D

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 20:59:46 PM »
Not me but our neighbour in Portugal thought he’d got a real bargain at Aldi.

I’d found some nice reds in the local supermarket for about €2 and they were lovely. Anyway we always have a communal barbecue and he produced a litre bottle of red that he’d paid about 70cents for.

I wouldn’t have cooked with it! It was so bad.

I still remind him every year!

Offline scorcher

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 00:03:40 AM »
Carmel Red - Dan Hotel in Tel Aviv. Not kosher by a very long chalk!

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 09:44:08 AM »
Doluca actually tasted nice :D

The cheap Doluca from that era was foul, really bad, and the associated hangovers were a thing of legend in Istanbul.  We were convinced that it was actually fermented grape must, with a bit of colouring and some industrial alcohol added to bring it up to strength.

Round about 2004, for the old EiT forum, we'd organised a boat trip up the Boz for two hundred ex pats and Turks - it was an all inclusive bash, local beer, wine and raki were included along with an extensive meze.

A couple of us met up with the guy from the boat to taste wines, choose dishes and work out final per head price.  We settled on the food and tried a few cheaper wines but decided on a fairly decent Kavak red and a Çankaya white.  All very professional so far, and we ended up with a decent price that allowed for a reasonable profit to cover server costs etc for the next few months.

We should have known better!

Come the night there were problems with the boat (spare part having to be taxied from somewhere in Asia), problems with the food (they didn't realise how much Europeans & Americans ate when it was included) and the biggest issue...  they very quickly ran out of the chosen wines and had to restock with... yep, Duluca Klasik or whatever it was called in those days.

Folks didn't seem to mind that two hours after departure time we were still in Arnavutköy, they didn't seem to mind that it took ages for food to come up from the galley, but jeez, the grief we got over the fact the wine was sh1t.  Fortunately, most of these folks were on big dollar or sterling contracts and it was no biggie to hit the pay bar which had lots of imported spirits. 

By eleven o'clock they'd drank the pay bar dry, there was no ice or mixers left so the hard core drinkers then started back on the free stuff until disembarkation at about one in the morning.

We'd never seen the forum so quiet the following day.  Two, three and four day hangovers were being reported across the city.

Fortunately, boats have lots of cubby holes so our stash of the good stuff lasted all night    :)

JF

Offline Taddy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 09:46:30 AM »
A couple of years ago at the Erzoz  on Calis Front we ordered a bottle called FIZ.  We assumed it would be like Prosecco ;D  The waiter started shaking the bottle he said to add some life to it. needless to say it wasn't that clever at all.  Flat as anything.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf