Author Topic: Gas Heater - who services them?  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Gas Heater - who services them?
« on: January 24, 2012, 18:02:10 PM »
We have one of those mobile calor gas heaters and we have "hammered it" over the past 2-weeks as it is very cold here.

We got a replacement on Jan 10th and on Saturday it went out. (10 days) ( We also have a halogen heater and have been using the aircon occasionally and an electric blanket on low all night  :) )

So for those of you who know me - I am careful - I have one of those gas canister magnetic gauges that caravan owners buy on ebay - recommended on CBF a few years ago and this showed that I was not yet even half empty yet - although it does seem a cheap bit of kit!!

I put my finger on the button - lit it - held my finger there for a full 5 minutes - let go  - out it went. I repeated this 4 or 5 times and finally gave up. The following morning I picked up the phone to ring the water / gas man and as I am careful - I thought one more go.

Low and behold it worked - it worked all day until 6pm and then went out. Tried again 3 or 4 times gave up. We then had a blackout during the storms at 9pm when Gill reminded me that if I had renewed the bottle that morning we would now have heat!!! (women so knowledgeable on these matters) So I thought - well - if we are cold I can hold the button down like that little lad in Holland in the dyke - and get some heat!!! After 15 mins I had cramp and let go - it stayed on !!!!

It worked all day Sunday and Monday - then it went out this afternoon and I have got it going after 4 unsuccessful attempts and then leaving it for 3 hours.

So it looks to me as though I have a blocked jet - anyone any ideas?
Do the shops that sell the gas service them or can you remove the jet and clear it somehow?

Ps If I have a blocked jet and it is not a pre-existing condition and I have registered for SGK - will it be covered  ;)

Pps I am ALSO beginning to think the one I sent back was FULL [:(!]

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 18:05:53 PM by Ian »

Offline grahamturner09

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 19:30:02 PM »
I am a gas safe registered engineer formerly corgi. It sounds more like a loose thermo couple or the flame is not touching the thermo couple very well and if you get a small breeze the flame will come away from the thermo couple and will then shut down the gas valve.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 19:56:09 PM »
Not sure about the shop that you get your bottles from but the gas supplier on the main road in Ovacik was always able to carry-out a service and safety-check on any gas appliance.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 21:34:14 PM »
hi all also check your hoses for splits

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 22:15:56 PM »
And your stockings for ladders.  ;)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 06:40:36 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by grahamturner09

I am a gas safe registered engineer formerly corgi. It sounds more like a loose thermo couple or the flame is not touching the thermo couple very well and if you get a small breeze the flame will come away from the thermo couple and will then shut down the gas valve.

Thanks for all replies but if it is the loose thermo couple can it be repaired, is it goosed or is there anything I can do myself?

Offline grahamturner09

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 19:52:18 PM »
Email me a number Ian I will call you

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf