Author Topic: Travel to Alanya  (Read 4237 times)

Offline Linda1953

Travel to Alanya
« on: April 14, 2006, 09:14:02 AM »
Hi Chaps,  :)in Alanya at the moment, cost me 20 tlr to get coach from Fethiye otogar - I got told by the guy that this is all it would cost from Fethiye to Alanya and it would not cost anymore! My ticket got swiped by the driver collecting the money so I had no proof of payment to show the driver of the Alanya bus.  When I got the Alanya bus I got charged another 10 tlr although I appreciate this is still excellent value for money I was naturally a bit peeved at being mislead at the Otogar! : :)

I'm travelling back to Antalya now to spend a bit of time there.

Offline Linda1953

Travel to Alanya
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 14:24:48 PM »
Update to this one apparently I was ripped off.  Fare is 12 tlr to Antalya then 8 tlr to Alanya. But of course I must have had tourist stamped all over me! LOL

It is 3 tlr to Kemer from Antalya as I had been there also.

Offline janet.gur

• Bolton, UK
Travel to Alanya
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 21:32:04 PM »
Hi Linda - give us an update about your journey.  What's Alanya like?

Janet

Offline Linda1953

Travel to Alanya
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 14:36:11 PM »
Hi Janet, Ive been to Alanya twice now! It's a nice resort,my friend has an apartment there so I stayed over. The place is fairly spread out but had changed a lot since my last visit due to the new builds all over the place! Some people say it's small, but I thought SIDE was smaller! You maybe need to go to a website to check it out as its difficult to tell you here.  I went on to Kemer from Antalya and back to Fethiye via Antalya.  I met three Canadians who had trekked all over India, Africa and now are trying Turkey.  Although I am not a geologist I was stunned at all the beautiful ever changing and so many different landscapes I saw just in one spot as one could not help but be awed by this.

Offline janet.gur

• Bolton, UK
Travel to Alanya
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 00:25:58 AM »
Is it true that Alanya, Side and Kemer are mainly German resorts?  If so I wonder why - is there something they know that we Brits don't know?
Anyone got the answer?

Janet

Offline Pi55y

Travel to Alanya
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 21:39:58 PM »
Janet, we went to stay in Alanya the night before the eclipse. We stayed in a 5 star all inclusive hotel. When we ordered something extra that was not on the all inclusive list we went to pay in turkish lira. They were horrified.  "We do not accept lira here, only euros!! they said.  "Why" we asked "Because Turkish people do not stay here, only Germans and Dutch people" they answered. This meant that to pay your bill you had to change your lira into euros at the hotel's unfavourable exchange rate.  This was a Turkish hotel in Turkey for goodness sake  - if they do not recognise their own currency and people then what hope is there. As far as I am concerned this sums up Alanya de Costa , wall to wall Germans in sprawling modern luxury high rise hotels and beach clubs, relieved only by the relatively picturesque castle area. Give me the working town of Fethiye any day!  :)

Chrissie

Offline janet.gur

• Bolton, UK
Travel to Alanya
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 22:04:57 PM »
you paint a pretty dismal picture of the place - think I'll cross it off my list of plasces to visit

Janet

Offline teresa321

Travel to Alanya
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 22:19:12 PM »
I must admit to finding the huge amount of high rise apartments a bit offputting. We holidayed in the old town of Side about 7 years ago and the beaches were beautiful, it had certailnly grown in those years although I think building in the old town is restricted.  A fantastic place for history buffs.

We were told that until fairly recently Calis was a mainly German resort but as prices increased they moved down the coast, it is also a 12 month season (airport) in that part and warmer - so that may be an attraction.

I remember complaining that Dalaman airport priced everything in German Marks and I queried why it wasn't in TL. I was told that the duty free area was owned by a German company, personally I thought it was "a bit off" myself Chrissie.

Just reminded me that when we got on the bus the next morning a few German people got on by mistake and left when the error politely was pointed out to them. Someone made a joke about them having left their towels on the seats.  Nothing against them personally but it was funny at the time.

Teresa

Offline valentine

• Prolific Member
Travel to Alanya
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 23:29:50 PM »

We were in Antalya a few years ago when we were on a cruise. We went to a very nice restaurant, had a lovely meal then tried to pay the bill - only to be told that the only acceptable currency was Deutchmarks!!! As we had none ( just a few US dollars, some Greek drachma, plenty of Sterling and Turkish Lira) I told my other half that it looked like we were washing up which had all the Germans in the restaurant pricking up their ears! Fortunately I'd had the foresight to bring a credit card with me, which happily WAS acceptable, the disappointment was tangible!!:D:D: :)We couldn't believe that Turkish lira wasn't taken, it was overwhelmingly German.

Offline Carpete

Travel to Alanya
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 23:54:13 PM »
January 2005 we stayed in Antalya region in order to have 1 week in a good hotel and then bus over to Fethiye to our Turkish home. We were the only UK couple in the Hotel. The menu, money, entertainment, everything German. The staff were Turkish and were  amazed  and delighted that we said Merhaba etc. Sad to relate  but no other guests made eye contact yet alone said Hullo or goodmorning  or guyniaden but it wasn't personal because they  didn't  seem do that with anyone!LOL. Could not wait to leave!
City of Antalya is  well worth a visit ( You can call in at Koctas  DIY store too)  but  the big hotels....well you are in another country metaphysically but its not Turkey as we know  it to be, and no Turkish guests seemed to stay there.
Carol

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf