Author Topic: SGK Meeting with the British Consulate  (Read 14682 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Re: SGK Meeting with the British Consulate
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 08:04:06 AM »
A good summary but depressing reading for many people.

Offline davybill

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 08:43:18 AM »
A couple of our friends,went for medicals for the SGK last. Week ,at the Devlet,
They were turned down because of poor eyesight they explained they have glasses
To combat that but made no differerance,,after paying 50lira for the English speaking
Tourist office chap to take them round and further charge of 450 lira for health checks,,

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 08:58:33 AM »
This is ridiculous - it confirms my thoughts that I wrote on here 12 months ago when I said "it feels like a memo has been sent out from the top saying - we really don't want these people on the scheme so do what you can to discourage them"

On another note - I see amongst the many tax increases announced today one is the increase of the minimum wage (quoted as 11%) - and as I believe SGK premiums are based on a formula related to minimum wage - it will now increase next time around :-(

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 10:47:57 AM »
Thank you Marggie for that link to the Kalkan Paper, having just read it all, it is the most comprehensive run through of this whole fiasco I have yet found.

As the article says "what have / are the British Consulate doing for us Brits". If they had ironed all these points out in the first place we would not be in this mess now, and many of us would NOT have bothered to join in the first place had we not have been so misled as to what we were getting.

We have not paid Decembers' premium and will wait to see what flops by the end of January, if we aren't getting what we signed up for we are off to the SGK office with our Pension Letters and they can chuck us out.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 17:38:02 PM »
It is very worrying for everybody, we have about 15 months to run on our residency and will have to think very seriously what we will do then.  Reducing our time in Turkey and using a Visa is a consideration, but that is being interpreted in the usual shambolic manner at the moment so will have to wait and see what transpires.

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 18:42:37 PM »
We don't have much choice but to suck it and see, we live here and have no home in the UK. Might be time to start looking for a different retirement destination.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 19:18:27 PM »
That is so sad Leeglo, this is such a beautiful country loved by many but they are making it so difficult for us to be here now.  We ask, and expect nothing, from the country but to be allowed to live here and to contribute in our small way to the economy.  As Scunner has said, things that we found quaint at the beginning eventually start to rankle. It just beggars belief how things are just brought in without any forward planning and then they have to react to the fall out.

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014, 09:14:42 AM »
So true Marggie and it always seems to be the yabanci left in the dark trying to make sense of the latest new rules, and paying the price.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 09:37:42 AM »
The British Consul office have a great deal to feel embarrassed about - they should have been more communicative from the outset in 2010.

Let's hope they surprise us pleasantly next time but even if it is not good news people would rather know where they were up to do they can plan and make informed decisions.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 14:41:58 PM »
In time, this will be resolved one way or another and I'm sure that it won't be at the expense of people needing to leave the country. If the consul can't sort this mess out, and they should be able to considering there are something like 500,000 Turkish Nationals enjoying NHS cover in the UK. It may take one or two enterprising insurance companies to pick up the opportunity and run with it. When I was working for a medium sized company in the UK, we put out to tender for private health cover for our 500 employees, each company responded with a clause in their offer that would exclude previously known medical conditions, after a little bit of negotiation one of the insurers offered to drop this condition and soon most of the others followed suit.

Making it financially viable for a company to offer cover, especially to an older and ageing set of members depends on the numbers of people in the scheme, if 10 different insurers try to do it then it will never work, however if one or two companies can do so then there is a ready made market of some 50,000 UK expats and god knows how many German, Dutch & Russians who must be also in a similar position with SGK.

I'd be happy to go and talk to Axa if anyone thinks it's a good idea?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf