Author Topic: SGK - Husband & Wife Procedure  (Read 6766 times)

Offline Denton

SGK - Husband & Wife Procedure
« on: March 21, 2014, 16:26:22 PM »
We have both been on SGK since inception and have read that now we are both on a State Pension that my wife has to take out her own SGK.  Question is how is this done i.e.

Where do we go to do it and do we need a translator.
We were both acepted without any Medical at inception of the SGK, so would a medical be
needed for my wife now.

Do they keep the existing SGK going in my name and just double the premium to cover my wife.

Has anyone done this yet and so knows what happens              .

Has the new legislation been bought in yet that was spoken about in February, and if it hasn`t
would my wife still be covered until it is bought in.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline LeeGlo

Re: SGK - Husband & Wife Procedure
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 16:42:00 PM »
There is quite a long thread on here about SGK, which might help you, but as far as I can gather .....

Your wife will have to have a medical before she can now join in her own right. Apparently there is a notice on the SGK office door, in English, to this effect. I read on here that you get a form and go to the Devlet Hospital for the health check and I think the cost is about 500TL.

You will be kept on your existing membership, you can check on this site: https://esgm.sgk.gov.tr/Esgm/   to see if you are registered.

You will both have to pay separate premiums, i.e. double, if your wife is accepted.
You probably will need a translator or at least a Turkish speaking friend to help you.

Offline Jack13

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 22:43:13 PM »
good point from both threads.there must be somebody out there and I would imagine this effects many of us who are in receipt of state pensions. good points denton but at the end of the day??????

Offline Denton

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 17:15:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies, they are appreciated.  I did read that the medical at the Devlet is `no picnic`, and they are ready to turn you down at the least excuse, but without medical cover you cannot renew your residency- so we may have to pay the 500tl for the medical and hope all goes well.

Anyone else gone for the medical and can let us know what happens.

Thanks again.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 18:50:11 PM »
It is annoying that if your wife has been on your SGK "policy" you would have thought that they would known her medical history from the point that your policy started and therefore if she has not had any serious issues you would have thought there was no need for a medical and if she had had some issues they should be aware of her medical history as you cannot treat someone without knowing their current state of health?

I would think this is a point to raise with the British Consulate in relation to SGK - "if I have been on my other half's policy for more than 12 months then why do I need to pay 500 tl for a medical as I am either healthy (no treatment in 12 months) or have some issues which they know about?"

The crucial question though is - "does a Turkish national pay 500 tl for an SGK medical in similar circumstances??

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 16:41:40 PM »
Denton, I don't know where you were told that you can't renew your residency without health cover, this is something I have not come across at all. There are lots of people out here who are not in the SGK scheme and who use the "pay as you go" method for their health care needs. Unless of course this is yet another new rule !!

In fact after the last SGK fiasco, (partners taken off the system and having to rejoin and both pay), we opted out of the scheme and will now pay for any medical care we may need. My husband has since had treatment including a short stay at the Devlet and the cost was very reasonable, less than 2 months' premiums. We had been in the scheme since Jan 2012 and never used it. 

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 17:08:25 PM »
I think Denton has picked up on the rumours about the 'permanent residency' status you can apply for after being here for eight years, it's been widely reported that medical cover is a condition in being granted a permanent status. As expected, the new rules that are supposed to take place next month aren't ready yet.

Offline Jack13

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 22:23:46 PM »
thanks to the last two posts somethings are beginning to be a bit clearer.

Offline kyfno

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 11:32:35 AM »
My wife went to Devlet last week for medical to obtain her own SGK.   The process is quite lengthy - 8.00 am to 4.00pm - but that does include a couple of hours wait after all the checks for the results to come through and then another wait for the authorisation for application for SGK to be completed.    There is a lot of walking around to see the various doctors, etc.    The cost was 175tl plus 50tl for an interpretor who was excellent.  He used to work at the Devlet and so knows the place very well. PM me if you want his details.  The medicals for SGK are done on a Tuesday or Thursday each week.

Once you have the authority document you then have to go to the SGK office to register.   We went with Yakup Yilmaz and it was all sorted out within the hour.

Hope this helps.

Offline Denton

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 14:36:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I went to the SGK Office yesterday and asked if a form was needed to take to the Devlet for the medical, and was told NO.  Kyfno, is this correct as you have done this, or do we just turn up at Devlet and say we a need SGK medical.  I will PM you for the name of the translater you used.  Thanks for your input, very helpful.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf