Author Topic: "New" Barber across from Cafe Pazar  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
"New" Barber across from Cafe Pazar
« on: December 17, 2012, 12:12:41 PM »
Adnan opened a couple of months ago now - very small but clean premises squeezed between the new Zayra 2 on the corner and the very good Bakers just up the side road.

He is what I would call an "old fashioned gentleman" - he has moved here from Ankara because it is warmer for him and his wife. He had been a "teacher" of barber's in the past and has been cutting hair for 35 years and is very thorough and professional.

I first tried him last month - I had noticed that he had not been very busy over his first few weeks - so in my usual style I told him 10 lira was too much as I only paid 8 lira in Gunlukbasi due to the fact that I don't have much hair - he agreed to 8 lira - before we moved I only paid 5 lira last year in Tuzla so I wasn't being a total ar*e.

I walked up this morning in the rain and at first thought he was closed - or worse - decided to call it a day - I then realised that he was open but the lights and the electric fire were turned off until I walked in - clearly to save money.

We talked about the weather, families and the usual stuff in our "broken" English & Turkish - then his wife walked in from shopping - mentioned she needed some bread - walked next door - returned with some warm flat bread and tore a slice off and said "try this - it is delicious warm". Adnan stopped cutting my hair - presented me with some kitchen roll whilst I ate the bread - he wife left - he finished my cut.

I paid him with the only note I had 50 lira - he had nothing in the till and I suspect I might be his only Customer today - so he went for change and returned soaking wet after going to 3 shops and presented me with my 40 lira plus the 2 lira as he remembered I was the 8 lira Customer - I duly returned the 2 lira and said no thank you.

If any of you are passing and need a haircut - give him a try - I hope he manages to stay in business.

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
Re: "New" Barber across from Cafe Pazar
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 19:18:07 PM »

Hi Ian
          Has the  new Zayra 2  replaced the architects offices on the corner ?

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 20:09:38 PM »
Geoff - hi - come to think of it I think you may be right - not very busy at the moment but the weather is pretty drab so a strange time to open but what would I know.

Ian

Ps Have you got a nose bleed yet - West Ham have never been so high - and not playing the long ball as predicted by many either   ;)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 21:01:22 PM »
I'd endorse this guy as well, I'm only sorry I did not make a post earlier, I tried this guy out twice for a shave last month and he done a good job ... worthy of all year round support - I particularly enjoyed the fact that on the second shave he topped up the lather pot with more hot water again, most welcome on a wet and dank November afternoon.  And any way his service and prices are lots better than the rogues down and off the strip - one of whom thinks its enough of a service to shave you once - very quickly - and then charge you 10TL.  Needless to say that particular premises has not benefited from any further payments from the Wallet marked Usedbustickets   ;)   ;)

A nice guy as well and worth your support.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
"New" Barber across from Cafe Pazar
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 21:11:38 PM »
John wanted short and spiky with gel, and got a side parting all neatly flattened down...
Unless you speak good Turkish it might be worth taking a photo of what you want.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf