Author Topic: Shoe Repairs and more in Gunlukbasi  (Read 4789 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Shoe Repairs and more in Gunlukbasi
« on: December 12, 2013, 19:54:51 PM »
Walked to Gunlukbasi today with 2 mosquito screens under my arm to leave then to have new nets put in the frames - 15 lira each with new handles as well - then went to a fabric shop to have some cushions made out of a curtain we had taken down recently but we liked the fabric. The first terzi I went to asked 40 lira to make 2 cushion covers the same as the sample we took in - the next one asked for 13 lira and then agreed to do 4 cushion covers - 2 with new cushions inside for 27 lira.

Then onto the shoe repairer as Gill was complaining she needed new heels on her boots - went in - Turkuz did them while we waited - got 2 cups of Cay - he waxed and polished them after heeling them - I used his loo as well - a very pleasant 20 mins and a very professional job by hand - no machinery - 10 lira.

Walked across the road to the little Kebabci (almost opposite the police station) - 2 kofte and salad on bread and 2 cay - 9 lira - a few policemen in there tells you - it is very good and it was :-)

Then next door to the pastahanesi on the corner for 2 eclairs and 2 sconey type things - 5 lira.

Then walked home - a really lovely way to spend 4 hours :-)

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
Re: Shoe Repairs and more in Gunlukbasi
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 20:01:24 PM »
Quite right Ian. Gunlukbasi is the place to go. Where else could you have that kind of service, and with a smile as well.  ;)  ;)

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 20:12:58 PM »
Chris - it was wonderful - simple - time to chat everywhere - watching a craftsman with his sharp knives cutting around the heels - and everyone with a smile saying "do you want them/it now" - so typical and so Turkish :-)

Oh forgot to say - even went to the double glazing factory on the way out of the village towards Fethiye - Gill thought I was wasting my time and stayed outside - but I got for 1 lira - 2 little rain covers that press into the outside bottom vents on the windows as I noticed we had 2 missing and that inner frame was getting a little more dusty / dirty than any others :-)

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 21:55:30 PM »
The simple fact is Ian, that if its not on the shelf, it can be made by anyone of the various craftsmen along the road. A truly working town,just as it should be. I had to get my safe repaired when I was last over. I called in the locksmiths next door to the charity shop. He came out, took the mechanism away and returned 2 hours later with one repaired mech and a spare key to boot. Total cost 35 lira.Back home I would have to have bought a new safe at around £80.00.   :)

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 22:03:48 PM »
I realise Ian that you and Gill have to save every penny, being the poor pensioners that you are, will be bringing food parcels with us next year !!  ;)  ;)

Offline poppy50

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 23:02:49 PM »
Found this useful, whereabouts is the cobblers in Gunlakbasi.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 23:19:36 PM »
Mrs B had some boots re sewn where some stitching had come undone. We dropped them off just asking if he could repair the opening.
We went back the nest day and the boots looked like new. He had re sewn them, re heeled them and given them a good polish. I thought he would ask for about 30tl and was gobsmacked when he asked for 7tl. I gave him 10 and he was made up.
I couldn't believe the state of some of the shoes he had in there for repair. We would have thrown them out months before they got to the state they were in.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 23:44:49 PM »

I couldn't believe the state of some of the shoes he had in there for repair. We would have thrown them out months before they got to the state they were in.

Highlander can't wait to get back over to collect his shoes

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 02:26:41 AM »
The cobblers is on the corner at the traffic lights - same side as the police station.
I always remember the location as " if you come out of the Pammukkale Office / Little Shop - turn left it is 10 meters away on the first corner.

Bewva - is dead right about the state of some of the shoes in for repair - but they come out looking 10 times better as we witnessed. He also had 2 Customers come in to collect leather jackets with repairs done to them - well worth knowing.

Ps He did say - "we have some walking boots and a sporran for your friend" - now I know who he meant  :D

Pps Echogirl - can we have some more of that Fortnum and Mason stuff you brought us last year please :-)

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 06:15:06 AM »
Walked to Gunlukbasi today with 2 mosquito screens under my arm to leave then to have new nets put in the frames -

Where is the shop exactly in Gunlukbasi Ian for the mosquito screens, could do with a couple of replacements myself.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf