Author Topic: wow :-) we got Spurs away !!!  (Read 877 times)

Offline Sleuth

wow :-) we got Spurs away !!!
« on: December 04, 2011, 19:26:28 PM »
Over the moon with the 3rd round FA Cup draw :D  my team Cheltenham Town ( watched all home games when in the UK  for last 11 years )  we got Spurs !!!!!   its the biggest fixture in our clubs history.  Much needed cash will be generated for the club !!   and maybe TV  coverage   :)   the bad news for me is we are coming to Turkey on Jan 8th... if the match is on the saturday the 7th I  am off to White Hart Lane :-)   if its on the 8th ( sunday )  I will be on the plane ... gutted about missing it :(  of course we will lose the tie...  but the occasion will be magic for us.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 19:55:25 PM »
Superb Sleuth - FA Cup final, World Cup, you name it - nothing beats the 3rd round of the FA Cup - I have so many memories. I remember listening (yes kids, listening!!) to the Sutton v Coventry game on a little radio in my bedroom, wishing away the minutes to allow this amazing giant killing feat, also remember Wrexham v Arsenal, and kicking every ball in the famous Stevenage v Newcastle tie :D

I'm the underdog's biggest fan - I'll be cheering for Cheltenham. They have no chance though, just like Sutton, Wrexham & Stevenage  ;)

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 20:20:01 PM »
Thanks for your support Keith   :)  I still remember in 1972 when little Hereford beat Newcastle . I can still picture in my mind  Herefords  winning goal , yes  the only sad thing these  days ( unlike the old days )  in the early rounds the premiership teams field their weaker players :( as the FA cup has lost its appeal sadly over the years.
Anyway a trip to White Hart Lane will be a trip down memory lane ( excuse the pun ) for me, as in the mid 1960`s I worked in Cambridge and every other saturday supported the Spurs ... 5 bob to get in and you could park a car close to the ground  back then [^] and back then I had the pleasure of watching the great Jimmy Greaves and a host of stars around that time...visiting players like..  Bestie,  Dennis Law,  Charlton ,  wee Billy Bremner ,,, every team had their `stars`  the list goes on....  mmmmm happy days  :)

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 20:34:04 PM »
1983, my cup final dream year & saw every round home & away, memories to take to my box! Go Cheltenham, it's "ONLY" Spurs lol.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 21:06:53 PM »
I remember Ronnie Radford's goal clearly too against Newcastle but I would have been six so maybe I remember the folklore since rather than it actually happening  :) - it's one that seems to rocket in but at the time takes ages. I was reminded of such a goal I saw again yesterday - they showed Ray Houghton's goal for Ireland against Italy in WC USA '94 on Football Focus I think - that seemed to hit the back of the net about an hour after he took the shot  :)

Great moments in football are the one thing that I can remember exactly where I was when it happened.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 02:38:57 AM »
I was at this game:D
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,626795,00.html

When Arry was a boy ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf