Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 78680 times)

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
Re: Brexit
« Reply #190 on: October 26, 2018, 08:50:53 AM »
To sum up, the whole Brexit affair is an unholy mess which has caused division between politicians, business leaders, friends and families.
I love Europe, and feel at home there.  I love the history, the architecture, the art, the beauty of the countryside and of course the food and wine.  I’ve never felt any animosity towards me as an English woman, even from people who didn’t want my custom.  I feel much more at home in Europe than I do in America or Asia.  Of course, I adore Turkey too.
I think that leaving the EU will cause my country untold damage, and not just in terms of our economy, but in workers’ rights, our NHS, our food safety, our defence, our policing, our beaches, our tax system, and lots of other things that affect our daily lives.
If only we’d all known the myriad implications of Brexit before we voted.

Offline Steve A

« Reply #191 on: October 26, 2018, 11:35:13 AM »
Unfortunately Lyndsey all of the things that you think will be screwed by Brexit have already been screwed long ago by Theresa and muppets.

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
« Reply #192 on: October 26, 2018, 13:21:39 PM »
The EU, the judiciary, the Lords, Remainers, so now it's Theresa May's fault.

Why don't you blame the people that got you here in the first place? The people who lied and continue to lie to you. The people who told you about "buccaneering" trade deals, the people who lied about money for the NHS, the Sunlit Uplands and myths of British exceptionalism. How we could have our cake and eat it before stating "F@ck Business". The same people who ran away when the reality hit. The same people who continue to hurl abuse from the sidelines but still, with 5 months to go, have no coherant plan of their own?

I'd love to hear suggestions for who could have handled this any better. I reckon we would have ended up in the same place.

I used to think Brexit was stupid, now I think it's a case of wilful self-harm, but on a national scale. I honestly cannot see any benefits.

Can anyone?

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
« Reply #193 on: October 26, 2018, 15:35:34 PM »
I can’t see any benefits either, Villain.  I think some people still have a deep seated hatred for the French and the Germans, and maybe think they’re getting on up on them. 
There’s also the fact that the EU are introducing tax evasion legislation next year, which will affect the likes of Boris, JRM, Farage et al.

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
« Reply #194 on: November 10, 2018, 17:51:03 PM »
Congratulations to the UK for being the first country ever to impose economic sanctions upon itself.

Who thinks it's time to think again and have a Peoples Vote, or as some call it: "informed consent"?

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
« Reply #195 on: November 10, 2018, 21:53:02 PM »
Me, Villain!
As the sensible member of the Johnson family said today, it wouldn’t be a rerun of the 2016 vote, but a new vote on the deal negotiated by Mrs May and the EU;  different thing altogether.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #196 on: November 11, 2018, 00:35:48 AM »
If there was another vote then what should be on the ballot paper. There is little point having a new vote if the choice is to accept May's negotiated deal or no deal. Both will result in an economic downturn

Some of the stuff that I have read this week makes me wonder about the intelligence of the UK electorate and the country's political leaders.

An article in the Irish Times related to conversations that the journalist had with people in Sunderland. Sunderland was one of the most pro Brexit areas. When the journalist asked about the future of Nissan in the event of a no deal. The answer he got it will make no difference to Nissan as the company is so embedded in the area it will not leave. All I would say to these idiots is remember shipbuilding, coal and steel were  embedded in the area and where are they today? Gone and will never return.

Rabb, the Brexit secretary admits that until recently he did not know how important the Dover - Calais route is. I assume he has also just realized he lives on an island.
We have Corbyn away with the fairies. Brexit cannot be stopped and he will not do anything to try and stop it. EUleaders have said that it could be stopped He will not support a peoples vote. Yet a motion was passed at the Labour party conference.75% of Labour party members support it. Recent opinion polls show there is a majority in every Labour seat supporting a new vote. He goes on about wanting society to be fairer and people to be better off and he taking a stance on Brexit that totally contradicts that statement by sitting back and watching thousands lose their jobs. Keir Stamer has said that another vote is not off the table yet Corbyn says it is. So much for democracy in the Labour party

Offline 1calis

• Newly Registered
« Reply #197 on: November 11, 2018, 14:33:14 PM »
 All I would say to these idiots is remember shipbuilding, coal and steel were  embedded in the area and where are they today? Gone and will never return.

Union wage demands destroyed these industries by pricing us out of the market.

EUleaders have said that it could be stopped

It would be stopped on their terms ie we join the euro,Shengen and stop the current rebate.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #198 on: November 11, 2018, 14:57:23 PM »
Joining the Euro has never  never been raised . European leaders have stated that the UK could continue to remain a member of the EU under current conditions. With regards the rebate it is reviewed and agreed at the start of the budget cycle. The next cycle is due coveting post Brexit.

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
« Reply #199 on: November 11, 2018, 15:42:36 PM »
So, Icalis, the disappearance of these industries is just down to greedy workers?  Utter tosh.

I live in an old mining area - my father worked down a coal mine from the age of 14.  We obviously have friends who were miners.  In the two years before all the closures started, millions were spent on new machinery, new pit top showers, new office furniture and tech, landscaping of gardens, and new canteen facilities.  This happened at most pits in our area. 
The balance sheets at these pits looked appalling.  The pits closed.
This was a long term plan to get rid of the pesky miners who had bettered Heath,
A factory near us used to make clothes for Burberry - very expensive clothes, which must have had a high profit margin (£80 t shirts etc).  The manufacturing has been moved abroad to make more profit for shareholders.  If British workers worked for the same wage as in, say, Sri Lanka, the government would have to subsidise their wages with tax credits and housing benefit.
Our steel industry suffered because of cheap foreign imports, allowed and encouraged by the government.
No, greedy workers and their unions aren’t to blame, but the policies of successive governments who don’t seem to care what happens north of the Home Counties.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf