Author Topic: Food poisoning!  (Read 3832 times)

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Food poisoning!
« on: July 30, 2009, 08:32:58 AM »
My daughter and I have just been diagnosed with Campylobacter which developed about 4 days after we returned from Calis. It has an incubation of anywhere between 1 and 11 days.

Its been really nasty, have been in bed for 4 days now, but the aches and stomach cramps are at last subsiding.

Its usually from chicken, so just wanted to warn everyone really to be careful, and if you have symptoms you will need to see your GP as its notifiable to Public Health & will most likely need antibiotics to avoid longer term problems.

On the positive side I've lost 5lbs since Sunday ( 4 days! )
On the negative side my sister is getting married on Saturday, my daughter is supposed to be bridesmaid but at the moment neither of us are sure we're going to make it...

Please take care everyone

Offline kevman

Food poisoning!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 14:59:26 PM »
Before buying a chicken wrap check the chicken first to see how well it is cooking. On the other topic of this thread, 3 yrs ago my husband contracted compylabactor and we had just returned from a holiday here in Turkey. We also thought he had got it here but as he was very ill and needed to see a senior consultant, they informed him it had probably been in his stomach a few weeks so there fore been picked up in the Uk. It is easy to blame a holiday. We have been living here since and he has been fine. The bug can stay with you for 2 yrs as well.

Offline grahamturner09

Food poisoning!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 15:39:14 PM »
I had campylobacter a few years ago and mine was from the kebabs if you buy them early in the day the chicken is not cooked very well.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Food poisoning!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 20:40:13 PM »
It must have happened in Turkey, as my daughter and I live in different towns in the UK and hadnt seen each other. It was strange the way that hers started 4 days after getting home and mine over a week after that. She only stayed for the first week of the holiday. I'm just glad it started after getting home and didn't spoil the holiday!
It had to have been the wraps we had on her last day, such a shame as one of my absolutely favourite things, but I will be sticking to lamb in future!

The worst thing for my daughter was that her GP told her she must have swine flu, so unfortunately she had to do a lot of nagging before getting the right treatment. We've both had letters from the local authorities wanting to know where we got it from, but without being 100% sure, we didn't want to make trouble for anyone.
Good tip to look at the chicken before eating, we don't usually, we just sit down, order a beer and never think to check, although I would in the UK.........
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 20:41:18 PM by kayakebab »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf