Author Topic: indian/ mexican/ what ever else  (Read 5698 times)

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
indian/ mexican/ what ever else
« on: November 15, 2010, 13:50:17 PM »
Resturants thoughout this holiday area boast chinese, indian, mexican, etc all from same kitchen cooked by same chef (turk?)with indifferent reults. could this be another area were work permit rules comes into play to restrict people who can cook these dishes are kept out so the reults are A) keep a turk in a job. B) only tourists so what and who cares.C) restrict or stop import of proper incredants. If the Turks want to move "up market" I hate that phrase but can think of no other that fits, so they can move away from poor English and attract slightly richer English to spend more per visit to Turkey, or do they not care as most resturants work on a cash basis which the government see very little of. All I want is a good take away just one would do. ;)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 19:49:01 PM »
I don't think the richer English will want a Chinese takeaway in Turkey.  Strangely enough they will want Turkish food.

Offline rpg9000

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 20:58:58 PM »
c1, there's no reason why a Turkish chef can't rustle up a decent Chinese/Indian/Mexican meal - I'm sure they have access to pretty much all of the ingredients. Bear in mind that what we're used to are westernised versions of these cuisines anyway - try visiting a "locals" restaurant in London's chinatown and you'll see that the menu is completely alien to us!

You have to accept that Turkey is a budget destination, and the restaurant trade is geared up accordingly. To my palate, the food in the vast majority of restaurants is "adequate" and no more. But if I'm paying 20-25 lire for a main course, what more can I expect. There are a couple of better establishments in Olu Deniz (and there may be in Calis, but I don't know them) where the menu is prepared with a little more imagination and they are significantly more expensive, but generally it's a case of cheap, cheerful and generally good value. That's what the punters want!

As far as takeaways go, when it's so cheap to eat in, why bother taking it home? Having said that, I would guess that any restaurant will put a full meal in a doggy-box if you ask.

PS: How about the doner kebap? They're pretty good!

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 22:51:53 PM »
Personally I have never met any Chineses or Mexican nationals in a UK Chinese or Mexican restaurant, so do not imagine its only a Turkish thing. Also what about English breakfasts can a Scotsman legally cook one........
As for a good take-away in the area? I do believe there are one or two, in fact virtually every locantasi, thay do take-aways and many even deliver.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 22:56:39 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Fraser

Also what about English breakfasts can a Scotsman legally cook one........

Excellent:D

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 02:12:03 AM »
RPG Turkey to my pocket nolonger a budget destination many prices are above UK prices now and still increasing.Jim I've never had a chinese take away except that which has been cooked by a Chinese person in uk.Luckily I've been to india, although most indian resturants in uk are Pakistani or musilim the food is great. wether a scotsman can legally cook an english breakfast is not the point surely it's if he can do it well, and I do like the square sausages you scots use along with all the readily availible incrediants, however a good indian relies upon the right stuff and skills, not just the ability to hold a frying pan (do you want your Mars bar deep fried), also never had a good pizza in Turkey, not sure if they use the right wheat or can get the right wheat for the base let alone the right dried meats. I have eaten in many local Locantasi (cafe's) while they do great value Turkish food very well, not seen one doing the beach front mexican/indian/chinese thing, prehaps you could recommend one that does.

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 06:57:11 AM »
If a Scotsman can cook a haggis(see you jimmy) he can cook any bloody thing. ;) :)

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 08:28:55 AM »
still baffles me as to why anyone of any nationality would want to cook a haggis !!![xx(]

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 09:22:54 AM »
I agree with Charles (c1) on one point, that the work permit situation has a bearing on the quality of these "foreign" food restaurants. We holidayed not so long back in Rhodes (while still living in Turkey) and across the road from the hotel was a superb Chinese - and so strange to see Chinese waiters and chefs working away - but it does make a difference. Even Gordon Ramsay said he could work on Chinese food only and after a few years might be good enough to earn a rating of 4 out of 10, so some guy from Mugla isn't likely to get close. I said in a topic a few years back that Shine in Hisaronu was plenty good enough if you had a need for an Indian but if I've been to 50 Indian restaurants in the UK then Shine would rate as number 51 in my list.

What is a far more difficult question is WHY there is such a need to put Chinese/Indian/Mexican on so many menus. Having lived out there I know there is a demand for something other than Pide and Iskender Kebap for a change but that is natural. It's not just about curries and chop sueys - the same goes for places like Pies & Patries, sometimes you just want a slice of lemon meringue pie :D Why anyone out there for a week or fortnight holiday wants to sit and have a third rate curry or dodgy Chinese is beyond me, when they can have the real thing within a week or two.

The problem is the same old problem - one restaurant sees someone eating a chow meiny dish and panic, thinking they are missing out. So they add Chinese to their menu and do it equally badly. So ultimately you get what we have, dozens of restaurants with the same menu choice as each other. Everyone is doing it and mostly they are doing it not very well.

I can't agree with Charles on one thing - yes most pizzas are thick, doughy strange things - but Bella Mamma's do a superb pizza.

Offline dycedon

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 10:36:25 AM »
Pookie try it, it is awesome, a haggis toastie is sublime.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf